CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Starter Problem????

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Problem????

Hello everyone. First of all I want to let everyone that I'm not new to forums, but I am new to the motorcycle community and plan to stay here for a while. I bought my bike yesterday and it drove fine. But today is when I start to have my problems (just my luck). This morning it was pretty humid so when i started the bike i knew it was going to die. After the second attempt along with an effort to blip the throttle upon starting, it still died. So i put the choke on and attempted to start the bike. After a couple of spins it felt like something was disconnected and the starter gives a really loud sound now. The bike won't start anymore. I suspect the starter is on its way out but I just wanted to use all of my resources to see what was happening. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you a bag of chips it's the battery.

Take a couple of jumper cables, hook one end up to your car battery and the other end to your motorcycle battery. Make sure your car isn't running. Hit the button and see what happens.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:33 PM

the lights and everything come on and stays lit when the the key is in standby. ill give your idea a try though and see what happens.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cranking voltage is different from the power needed to run the lights. Take a voltmeter to the battery or try jumping it as suggested

Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM

its raining something fierce outside so ill wait until later on tonight. thanks for the comments so far guys.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 PM

Alright guys I didnt have access to a set of jumper cables but i did have a 6v charger. i let it charge for about 30 minutes but it did absolutely nothing. im also afraid to jump the battery from a car because of it being too strong and blowing a fuse or frying something. any other suggestions?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLspeedracer
Alright guys I didnt have access to a set of jumper cables but i did have a 6v charger. i let it charge for about 30 minutes but it did absolutely nothing. im also afraid to jump the battery from a car because of it being too strong and blowing a fuse or frying something. any other suggestions?
I'm pretty sure your bike requires more than 6v to start.

I wouldn't suggest you do something if it could damage your bike. Like I said, if you use a car battery to jump your bike, make sure the car isn't running.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 PM

sorry i meant to say 6 amps. dont know where i got volts from. but im going to try to jump the bike with the car just to see what happens. be back in 5

Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 PM

i was about to run to the store to buy you chips, but sadly nothing happened. still getting the loud cranking noise.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well first off is can you make a vid of this loud cranking noise.

Second off all this failed cranking may have fouled your spark plugs. Before you go buying a new starter, pull the plugs and check their condition.

Quick Reply: Starter Problem????