F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

please help, i messed up my paint job, bad!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help, i messed up my paint job, bad!

im getting really frustrated, a couple of months ago i dropped my bike and scratched so i sanded it down took off the stickers and painted it black,and for the third time it hasnt came out right. i use the bulldog adhesive then it just ate up my paint, this time i got paint for plaststic and the clear coat came out nasty...everythings a mess, can anyone paint it? i want to paint everything except for the side fairings glossy black.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

... idk what technique u use but ill tell u how i paint

1) sand, sand, sand some more
2)wet sand
3)make sure you clean well after sanding
4)MAKE SURE YOU LET IT COMPLETELY DRY if ur plastics or anything are still damp itll get all messed up
5)spray one layer of primer
6)lightly sand
7)wet sand
8)prime again
9)wet sand
10) let dry
11)first coat of paint
12)i typically wait till the next day depending on conditions for a second layer
13)spray a second coat (repeat 12 and 13 until you have desired layers of paint)
14)clear (i do one layer of clear every 24 as well depending on conditions)

im not sure what all the products ur using either but it sounds like one of three things are happening....

1) not enough prep work
2)ur primers/paints/clears arent compatible with one another
3)not enough time between different coats

im leaning very heavily on #2

Old 03-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I agree with everything but the 24 hour thing. Paint should be recoated after the flash time (usually 20-30 mins), same for clear coat. I'd wait till the paint cured (base coat) so I could wet sand it before clear coating. But to wait till the next day to respray is unnecessary.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

i just said wait till next day bc if hes doing it in a non heated garage... depending on the temp. here right now its a bit cool and paint wouldnt dry at its normal rate...

Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Even if it was cooler outside you would not have to wait 24 hours. With it being cold flash time would be around 1-2 hours thats if it is really cold. Another thing you said that the Clear came out bad well is it like rough and kind of fisheyed? Clear is very hard to spray and you will get better with practice but if your spraying it from a paint gun you want to be at around22-26 PSI and you want to make sure you go slow and even but dont go to slow where you will get runs. Id say practice on a something so you can get the hang of it. Once you do spraying a bike or a car is like a walk on the park. Also, like one other guy said be sure your prep prep prep and prep your parts some more before you even think about spraying paint.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:47 PM

Are you spray bombing? You didnt really mention what kind of paint you are using. A 2 part paint is deff the way to go though. You will never get a perfect finish out of a spray can. Once you have clear coated wet sand all the panels starting with a larger grit like 1500 and working you way down to a fine micro-mesh. Follow that with some buffing and you should be able to get a nice finish. Like it has already been mentioned though, a nice paint job is not possible without proper prep. Be sure to whipe down after sanding with a cleaner such as MEK.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by acparkours
im getting really frustrated, a couple of months ago i dropped my bike and scratched so i sanded it down took off the stickers and painted it black,and for the third time it hasnt came out right. i use the bulldog adhesive then it just ate up my paint, this time i got paint for plaststic and the clear coat came out nasty...everythings a mess, can anyone paint it? i want to paint everything except for the side fairings glossy black.
This is the guy who redid my bike, he is local to me here in Idaho, but he does a lot of work through the internet. He's done a bunch of cruisers frrom guys who live out on the east coast. And his prices are fairly reasonable.

http://kustompaintwerks.com/?p=1

Old 03-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Here are your steps.
1. Save up $200
2. Sand everything you want painted down the the primer. Ask a buddy who paints to check that it is sanded/prepped correctly.
3. Take your bodywork to a local bodyshop/painter or MAACO!!!
4. Pay them $200 for your new shiny bodywork.

The prep work for the painting is what costs soo much. If it is sanded down to primer and prepped all you have to pay for is paint/supplies and the 1-2 hours painting labor.