F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Messed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up

So the Ape CCT backed out on me because I diddnt tighten the locknut enough. Engine sounded like a diesel and was knockin and soudin horrible. Limped to work and put it in a truck and got it home. So i screwed in the ape and tried to start it so my dad could get a listen and it definetly sounded like the cam chain was raking over the sprocket or something, diddnt start that time. killed it right away. Took the bike apart and it surprised me that the timing still looks to be on in the engine. I was hoping that I would see it was off. Now im a bit confused. Should I take the cams out and clean them and check on the valves under the buckets? The camsprockets dont look marred or chewed up (from what I saw). Cant really see the sprocket on the crank i dont think. Diddnt sound chewy when I rotated it to check the timing.

Im just hoping I diddnt damage a valve or a piston but im thinkin the only way I will be able to tell that is to pull the head. Seems like it isnt much work past taking the cams out, just unbolt the head and lift it off i would imagine.

This is the usual for me because I will get something done right, and only screw it up after I complete or accomplish it.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will keep you from having to tear your head off, but its kinda pricey. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91565

Old 04-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey MC_spirited, sorry to hear about your CCT. Sometimes when we're focused on a bigger issue, we end up forgetting something small; we've all done that. Anyways, your post reminded me of a very similar situation involving a loose manual tensioner: https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=video

Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 AM

It sounded like that a bit but also it had a deeper exhaust note. Im really scared I messed up a valve.

I guess I should pull the head or see if i can find a scope. Will I be able to use it to look through the spark plug hole at the valves? I dont know if it can bend that sharply. Maybe I can just get a compression tester. That would atleast let me know if i have a hole in a piston or a stuck open valve.

Mistakes suck.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM

i'd pull your head off just to check things out, you could have bigger problems than a messed up valve

Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Okay, so ive got it to the point where I am almost ready to pull the head, just have to take off the headers and drain the head and engine of the rest of the coolant. Im gonna do a leak down test which should say if I have a messed up piston or valve.

The teeth on the camshaft sprockets look a bit more worn than when i had them off the first time, that doesn't surprise me. If i do the leak down test and it comes out okay, could I still have a bent valve? Or guess it could be stuck closed.

Im thinking i should pull the head anyways just in case. The only other parts that could be worn that I cant inspect without further dis assembly would be the camshaft sprocket on the crank. So i thinking I may take the engine case off the right side and check out the rest of the timing system. If im in there I might as well check out the clutch while im at it.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM

So I pulled the head. There are marks on the pistons from the valves coming in contanct with them. When i took it apart it was on time. So it must have came off time, ran then the chains slipped again and it went back on time I would imagine.

The valves dont look bad from the bottom, but i cant see the shafts. All the buckets and shims looked fine. The top of the valves and the springs look okay too. I dont know what else I can do but do a solvent test with the seals. I dont want to get a spring compressor to take the valves out to inspect them. If i take the valves out I might as well get them all re machined and if I have to go that far as to get machining done on it, I think i am just gonna get a used engine. I found one for around six hundred locally.

Also, I didn't take the clutch cover off the right side, so I need to do that so i can take off the timing chain and sprocket and inspect all that. This is too much money, now I want a new clutch too. Started looking into piston kits and the whole deal. I would love to have to get this used motor, then rebuild my original motor with new possibly oversize pistons, and just go all out.

So now i gotta go get some kerosene to test the valve seats.. joy.

Id have to say, even though riding is much more enjoyable and the end goal of wrenching, I love working on the bike. It feels good to have that much of a familiarity with the motorcycle.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:40 PM

have you put the motor back together yet and possibly started it up?
if not can you upload some pics of your piston crowns and valves

i'm really suprised that it was back in time when you took the cover off

Old 04-19-2009, 09:43 AM

Yeah I got some pics. I got an engine but I'm gonna get a new head gasket and see if it runs before I swap. I was suprise it was on time too. Solvent test on valves says they are sealed so I guess no bent valves. I will upload pics later.