F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Oil filter rolating

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter rolating

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. As a matter of fact, this is my first post. I apologize if this is against any standard policy about first posts. I'm a mechanical engineering student at Mississippi State University. That's right I said engineering student in MS. Anyway, I belong to the school's chapter of SAE. We are currently building a formula car and the engine just so happens to be a 2000 CBR 600 F4i because of a 610cc displacement limit. We're going to turbo our motor this year due to it's lack-luster performance. Some may say how can this be. Well, when you are required to run a 20mm intake restrictor after the single throttle body and your engine team leader tuned with TPS instead of MAP like it is supposed to be done. Things don't go run like it should. Plus tuning in Mississippi and running at the Ford proving grounds in Michigan didn't help.

Ok back on topic. For packaging reasons we are going to relocat the oil filter. I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone makes a kit for this process, and if so where can we acquire one.

Thanks in advance

P.S.- I did use the search function and got zilch

Old 09-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oil filter rolating

I wouldn't relocate the oil filter -- just design the turbo to fit around it. There are turbos on F4i's that fit within the plastic -- you should have way more room in a mini-formula racer.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 PM

First off, sorry to hear that you're going to be an ME, you'll see why in a few years...I work in the field.
As far as the oil filter relocation, I'm not sure it can be done. If you're just moving the filter itself, that might be possible, but you'll have to machine out a new base and adapters etc. Don't think anyone makes one. If you need to move the whole assy, you might be hosed since you'll have to move the oil cooler too. If you have clearance issues from the turbo, it's best to locate that elsewhere instead of playing around with moving stuff around that already has a specific location.
By the way, was that Ford's test track in dearborn? I saw that a few years ago and it's really something else.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:42 PM

Well, our seat is really close to the back of the motor. So we're going to basically put the turbo really close to the oil filter location. After evaluating this, we decided it would be best to relocate it. I'm not sure, but i believe the plan is to leave the oil cooler where it is and just relocate the oil filter. Plus relocating the filter will get a few points in servicability because the turbo won't have to be removed in order to change the filter.

you should have way more room in a mini-formula racer. There's a lot less space than one would think.

BTW. Any suggestions on where to look for some guidance in designing the relocator?

Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 AM

maybe a chevy blazer could give you some insperation? they have a remote oil fitler its in the bumper

Old 09-22-2006, 01:07 AM

Seems like a mechanical engineering student would be wanting to design a relocator. Anyway, I used to build Legend series race car engines. The engines were Yamaha FJ1100/FJ1200s. All of these cars used an oil filter relocater. Here's a link to where you can see what the kit should look like, obviously this kit won't fit on a F4i engine, but you can get some ideas: Legends Engine. Basically, there is a fitting that screws into the stock location of the oil filter wih two o-rings. The inner o-ring seals the return hole and the outer ring runs along the outer diameter of the adapter to keep from leaking oil. There are two AN-8 fittings in this adapter, one in the center of the adapter for the return oil and one along the outer portion of the adapter for incoming oil. Two braided steel hoses were attached to this and routed wherever you would like and screw into another adapter which is basically the reverse of the first adapter. It is made from billet aluminum and accepts the oil filter. It is a fabricated piece that mimics the stock mounting location on the engine. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 09-22-2006, 04:31 AM

well I don't know jack about relocating an oil filter but I did go to MSU last year
I don't have the patience for engineering myself, I was doin Aero but got bored as hell after a couple weeks

Old 09-22-2006, 06:25 AM

FSAE is pretty cool. i think i may join that next year here at UCF. for my first year i am planning to help on the HPV assignment. with regards to your question. i know its not as fun as machining your own parts but you can just use an Earls oil filter relocation kit just like they do do for cars. i know a couple people that have used them on their mazda protege's. . which happens to be the same exact filter that these f4i's use