General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad battery, sparkplug, fuel filter, air filter...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad battery, sparkplug, fuel filter, air filter...?

O.k. so here's the deal...
I have about 25k on my bike, bought it brand new, and the only thing I really do to it is oil changes. The problem is this... I'm on my second battery (my bikes an 04' 600rr) and seems as if it's going out or somthing. I would like to think that's not the case though. 2 batteries in 3 years? I really don't think so, but let me know if ya'll think otherwise. Anyhow... My bike doesn't turn over all that well nowadays (as if it was a dead battery). Sometimes it'll turn over and other times it wont.
For example... I went on a ride for about 45 mins, stopped for about 15-20mins, and it started back up (with a lil lag though). The following week I rode for about 30 min, stopped for ~15mins, and it wouldn't start. Both rides where to some "line" riding, so I know getting to where the twisties were was all freeway andI was over 6grand on the tach both times riding to where I start. I can can pop the cluth and it'll get going (which is what I did/do) but I just don't get it.
I got a battery charger and it'll turn over after it's been charged for a bit, but most of the time whenI do charge it (even after I've poped the cluth and/or have rode for a bit) it'll read more than 80% charged. But sure enough if I let my bike sit for a bit (an hour or so after a ride) it somes time starts or won't. If I charge it charge and let it idle for a bit (10 mins) and turn it off and try to start it again it's a "weaker" start, and if I turn it off again after that it will not start again, it'll just click... but I am still able to pop the cluth afterwards. I do have some after market (flush mounts, intigrated tail, and plate light) stuff on my ride, but it's been on it for such a long time I dont think I could've jacked it up that way.
A buddy of mine suggested checking and or changing the spark plugs, air filter, battery, or fuel filter(s) (which I do not know were it is located or looks like). If this makes sense to anyone please help me. Folks are broke these days (savin up some dough for moto gp at laguna) and I would like to solve this problem in the most effient and economicle way. I love my bike and want to do her right, but will try to avoid losing my money to the dealer to tell me it's a simple fix. Thank you all for your time and effort in this manner!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Default RE: Bad battery, sparkplug, fuel filter, air filter...?

Sounds exactly what i went through when i first bought my (used) F4i back in January. I would charge the battery and it would start right up, but after going anywhere it wouldn't turn over. That happened to me twice. I even put in on the charger after the first time to see if that would fix it, but no dice. I figured it was the battery and got another one and it's been fine ever since.

I think your best bet's the battery. I don't know why they sometimes just don't last very long. Did you remove the battery over the winter? If you don't it could dramatically reduce it's lifespan. Just sitting for long periods of time is pretty hard on batteries...and since ours are so small they're pretty sensitive to that kind of thing more than car batteries. Had similar problems on our waverunners a while back. But get a battery tender hooked up whenever you're not going to use it will usually extend it's life...or just removing it when it's going to sit for a while. Hope that helps.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 AM

Thanx bro! I pretty much ride all year long (I stay in California). I think I might just have to change the battery as a first line, but a baterry lasting a little over a year? sounds pretty fishy me to, hence the big post. Good looking out though! It's nice to here that someone else had the same problem as me and it was fixable.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:36 AM

there was some good reading in one of these forums about how an improper initial charge (i.e. not charging it up right the first time, before using it) can drastically reduce the lifespan of a battery, which should otherwise last a few years. so, if you buy one off the shelf, make sure it's given the proper initial charge, as detailed somewhere in this site. it was saying something about charging it to like 16v or something. not sure though, but that could be your problem.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 AM

Most of the batteries you buy now-a-days say they are fully charged but I always put them on a battery tender for 24 hours anyway. It could be that you are just having bad luck with your battery purchase, but who knows. If you do alot of wheelies, the shock of coming down hard can wreak havok on the battery plates. Or, it could be a weak/defective regulator/rectifier (Honda has problems with theirs). Or, it could be excessive voltage draw somewhere.

(Not particularly related, but I ran into a problem one time where my vehicle started fine when it was cold. It started every time. But once there was heat in the engine, it wouldn't turn over at all. The problem: A bad "Crankshaft sensor". When it got hot, it quit sending a signal to the ECM).

Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 AM

Good looking out bro. I never thought of that. I guess I thought I was going to get a fully charged battery when I bought it, or at least I was told that it was. But yeah... when I pick up the new battery I'll make sure to ask about it being fully charged and see if these a way that they can actully show me that it is and/or I'll just take it home and charge it. It that was the case though it still wouldn't hold a charge after being charged?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Hummm... very interesting thought about the whole stunt deal. I do dabble in it. More stoppies than wheelies though. You are right, when I do come down from a stoppie there is quite a thud. That can really jack up the battery huh? Who would've thought? As far as a crankshaft sensor... Totally lost me on that one. If that's jacked it sounds like it's gonna take a pretty penny to get fixed. As far asthe extra drawing of power... I have no idea where it would be coming from. Everything I've done to it has been done by myself with manuals/directions or with the help of a knowledgable friend and all that work was done back in the day... So I'm pretty sure that may not be the case, but who knows right? Thanx for the help bro, any and everything helps!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 AM

LOL! It was the battery after all... Bike is running super now! Thanks everyone!!!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should still check your rectifier to make sure the battery is getting charged when the bike is on...otherwise, you'll be hitting up another battery soon.