F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need some help...F4i making strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help...F4i making strange noise

Hey all-

I'm a fairly new rider, just got my '04 F4i in September, and I need some help.

Two weeks ago, I rode for 2 hours in heavy rain, and it was about 50 degrees out. I pulled the bike into a temperature controlled garage to dry completely out, and it has been in there ever since. I tried to start it today, and it wouldn't start. It would turn over (after I charged it) and attempt to fire once in awhile (occassional sputter). I took the air filter out, and everything was indeed nice and dry. It was low on fuel, so I added some fresh. Still wouldn't start. I then thought my dad may have started it briefly to move it in the garage, so I cranked it while holding the throttle wide open in order to clear out any unburnt fuel from the cylinders (as it was likely running rich when first started and, if shut off immediately,had no chane to lean out). It started right up at full throttle, and I let it sit and idle for about 2 minutes while I went to get my gear. When I hopped on and gave it some throttle, it died down to a very very low idle. I gassed it and it revved up fine but died back down to sputtering. I gave it gas again, and as I did heard a noise coming from somewhere. It was sort of a grinding noise, more of a rapid clanking, coming from somewhere in the engine. I immediately shut it off and haven't started it since. What could this be? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cody

Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some help...F4i making strange noise

Could be cam chain noise. How many miles are on the bike? Whats the service history? How long did it sit inbetween the ride and trying to start it? If I leave mine sitting for a couple months it takes a few minutes to get it started.

It could be any number of problems really. I have worked on many bikes that have been trailered to me for the same type of noises and it has ranged from cam chains to valves to needing a whole new motor and sometimes guys just running it low on oil and needing it changed and properly filled back up.

Let me know ifI can help you out.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need some help...F4i making strange noise

I would definatly check that CCT out. It would seem strange to just quit like that but it sounds like CCT noise and it can cause the running issues if it were allowing the cams to move more freely than normal.