General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike making noise HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike making noise HELP

I have a 2002 954rr just bought it. I took it to have the oil changed the guy before me used recommended honda oil and the new shop used full synthetic almost immediately I noticed the engine was louder. There is a noticeable whirr when the clutch is out but when the clutch is in it goes away and when I first crank it it does fine but then after it warms up to operating temp when I rev it a little you hear a rattle between 2 and 3000 rpms. I changed back to original oil today and it's still doing it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, synthetic oil won't hurt the bike by itself.
Second, the sound you're hearing when you let the clutch out (if while in neutral) is most likely just the clutch basket... which is normal if it's just a "whirring" noise as you describe it.
The rattle between 2-3k rpms could be a few things. It could simply be something rattling on the bike at that particular frequency. I'd check for something loose first.
The fact that it only does it between 2-3k is a good sign. Usually major engine troubles (that I know of) won't just make noise at that particular rpm.

If you can better describe the noise, or possibly make a video, that would help.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:32 AM

"There is a noticeable whirr when the clutch is out but when the clutch is in it goes away"

That noise is totally normal and you shouldnt really worry about it, my ninja 250ex did the same thing, and my current 2001 cbr f4i does also. I think that it may have always made that noise but you didnt realize it untill you put in the new oil and listened to the engine. Its really nothing to worry about

Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 PM

Ok so I took it out today and I was determined to figure out what the rattle is but it won't do it until the engine warms up a bit and the oil thins. Then when I pull in the clutch and rev it up to about 3 thousand there is a rattle almost coming from the top of the engine. Could it be in need of a valve adjustment or CCT or something. It only has 7000 miles on it but the guy did do track days on it.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 PM

I have noticed the same rattle ( but starts at 5000, stops at 6500rpm) dont know what to make of it. mechanic told me to check for external rattle... I can hear that it is the engine... sure would like it gone!!! any help boys?? 2001 cbr929.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foxxg1h
I have a 2002 954rr just bought it. I took it to have the oil changed the guy before me used recommended honda oil and the new shop used full synthetic almost immediately I noticed the engine was louder. There is a noticeable whirr when the clutch is out but when the clutch is in it goes away and when I first crank it it does fine but then after it warms up to operating temp when I rev it a little you hear a rattle between 2 and 3000 rpms. I changed back to original oil today and it's still doing it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

what u gonna do is drain the motor oil after that put 3 liter of auto transmission fluid syntetic then let it run the motor about 3 minutes , Do not rev and Do not let the temperature gauges reach to the red line. turn it off , let it cool for a minute then turn it on again 3 times, after that drain the auto trans. fluid all the way and changes the oil filter ....

Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 PM

sythetic oil is not going to do anything to the engine. Something else happened along the way. I run full synthetic Amsoil and have in all of my bikes for a long time. The oil is not your issue, nor did it cause it.

Normally, 7,000 miles is not a lot. however, depending on how many track days the guy did, and how aggressive he was, how often he changed the oil,(track days will need to be changed much more often), will play in to what could be the issue.

Its also quite possible, since the bike was potentially abused, the previous owner put in very heavy oil to quiet down an exsisting condition so he could just unload it. Do you know the previous owner? Did he run say, 20/50 race oil? Chances are pretty high the reason you hear something now is a lighter weight oil, and or lack of an additive he may have put in to quiet it down.

As for what the issue is, it would be impossible to say over the internet, especially since the bike could have been ridden hard. The CCT may be a likely canidate, since the engine probably saw high rpms at extened periods of time. but thats only a guess.

and, as already suggested, posting a vid may be the best way to get help. Its quite possible its just normal noises, or something simple.

what u gonna do is drain the motor oil after that put 3 liter of auto transmission fluid syntetic then let it run the motor about 3 minutes , Do not rev and Do not let the temperature gauges reach to the red line. turn it off , let it cool for a minute then turn it on again 3 times, after that drain the auto trans. fluid all the way and changes the oil filter ....
what would this accomplish?

Last edited by justasquid; 04-30-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the noise will calm down a bit.