F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need Help. The Bike Wont Stay On

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help. The Bike Wont Stay On

I seen a post like this before but I can find it.
This is the situation. I havent used the bike in over two weeks. It worked absolutely fine before that. The bike starts up now but it will stay only on if I hold in the ignition button. As soon as I let go of the switch the bike dies.
Here is the weird part; all of the lights on the gauge stay on with the bike is working. The turning signals(not flashing), high beam, neutral. If I prop the bike into a straight position all the lights go out. What do you guys think the problem might be?
Thanks for reading.
Alek

Old 06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: Need Help. The Bike Wont Stay On

kickstand sensor might be messed up?

Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen an issue where all the lights were staying on, that was when one dude was trying to jump his bike and connected the terminals on the battery the wrong way
Doesn't seem to be the problem for you though... but could be a contact issue in the starter switch or a wiring (ground?) problem.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 PM

Thanks guys for the advise.
I found a thread that is very similar to my problem.
https://cbrforum.com/m_301938/tm.htm
It seems that my bike works just fine if I take out the headlight fuse. 95Camaro mentioned that it has something to do with the pins' connection but for some reason I think it might be the relay. When my bike was painted over a month ago, the painter mentioned that he was messing round with the head light relay but everything worked just fine until now. Do you guys think it is just a pin connection problem?

Old 06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks to me a lot like a wiring problem, very probably got to do with the ground connection. In that thread the ground was opened at the headlight... it could be in other places too Dunno how exactly they wire these things.

A lack of ground connection might mean that current for one component (e.g. sparks) might have to go through the wiring for another component (e.g. lights). What happens when you push the starter I believe is an alternate low resistance path gets created for the sparks etc. When the starter switch is released, the resistance is too high for sparking to remain operational... one possibility.

Check wiring.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Wiring problems suck... Im still troubleshooting this non-sense. I hope this issue will clear up before this weekend.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:52 AM

its a very common problem man. listen if you need to get the bike home or something bull your headlight fuse and the bike will start. if you pull the fuse and the bike starts thats where your problem is. for some reason something with that ground cuases the fuel pump to not work i have no idea why but thats the problem. dont ask me cuase im confused as hell but thats what i know about it. maybe someone else could figure out more. but soon as you mess with that connector it gets better