General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wont stay in second gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike wont stay in second gear

I have a 2007 600rr with 24k miles on it. I purchased it a few months ago from someone and since I owned it the bike when shifted into second stays there until around 5k rpm or if I just keep it there for a period of time like 3k rpm for 1/4 mile it slips out and goes to neutral. The clutch is new the bike rides great in every other gear even 6th.

From reading it sounds like a bent shift fork. I need pointed in the right direction to identify if this is it. I hear mixed stories that I have to pull the engine takes the heads off etc. to see if they are bent.

I am mechanically inclined with cars, I have not dug that deep into a bike before. if anyone can shed some light on this that would be great.

Thanks

Old 07-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Servtex
I have a 2007 600rr with 24k miles on it. I purchased it a few months ago from someone and since I owned it the bike when shifted into second stays there until around 5k rpm or if I just keep it there for a period of time like 3k rpm for 1/4 mile it slips out and goes to neutral. The clutch is new the bike rides great in every other gear even 6th.

From reading it sounds like a bent shift fork. I need pointed in the right direction to identify if this is it. I hear mixed stories that I have to pull the engine takes the heads off etc. to see if they are bent.

I am mechanically inclined with cars, I have not dug that deep into a bike before. if anyone can shed some light on this that would be great.

Thanks
Hi. I have a 2002 CBR F1 and my Haynes manual only covers years from '99-06. However, it states that you can work on the selector drum and forks with the engine in the frame (removal of the sump is necessary according to the Haynes) and if you have a motorcycle lift, this would be an asset, as you would be working upside down to see and get at everything! Taking the engine out would make life easier I suppose. Try and get the Haynes manual for your particular year as in my copy up to 06 it describes how to remove the selector drum and forks. Hope this helps?

Last edited by highwaypatrol; 07-14-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added information previously left out.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM

Thanks I will look at purchasing a manual

Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 PM

The symptoms you are describing, sounds like you have a worn out second gear dog bones. a bent shift shaft will have difficulty selecting a gear or not able to at all. a worn out gear will pop out under hard acceleration into a false neutral. A bent shift shaft is mostly caused by a bad gear popping out. If you want to check the shift shaft, remove the clutch cover, clutch and the gear selector. the shaft should be 90 degrees from the actual selector.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Just buy new clutch plates, and new oil.

Takes about 45 minutes to do a clutch job on a bike.

80$ plates expressed shipped to you. Buy nice oil.

Boom done.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 PM

The person I purchased it from said he had the clutch, chain, and rear sprocket replaced and has about 1500 miles on it. The clutch cable screw on the handle bars is screwed all the way in which usually means the clutch its nice and tight and good. I do not have any trouble shifting into ANY gears. I got my hayns manual in and Boy checking/replacing those shift forks is a complete tear down of everything taking the motor down to bare bones.

I will get the cover off and use the hayns manual to inspect the gears hopefully the guy just lied to me or the shop didn't install it right.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ArcticSummon
Just buy new clutch plates, and new oil.

Takes about 45 minutes to do a clutch job on a bike.

80$ plates expressed shipped to you. Buy nice oil.

Boom done.
Having a bad clutch wouldn't cause the bike to slip out of gear just be hard to get it into gear and would slip under acceleration, pooping out is prob either a bad gear or dog and unless you heard that gear grinding a lot from miss shifting or somethin I would say the dog

Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 PM

What part is the "Dog" ? same process as the shift forks? Where I would have to go in through the motor, or is the "dog" something i can get to by taking the transmission apart the gears and all that?

Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 PM

The "dog bone" or dog gear is gears that interconnect gears in the transmission, your shift fork is what slides the gear to lock with its mate gear. I believe second mates to 6th. When this wears down causing the gears to grind wearing the teeth smooth. The fork will then get bent from the force of the gear pushing back when it slips out. This then could damage, shift shaft and the shift drum. Replacing the gear usually requires spliting the case, but I'm unfamiliar with your bike.

The only way to really know what's damaged is to take it apart and look but typically a second gear repair means
New second gear and 6th
New shift fork
And shift drum and shift shaft if needed.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM

Name:  PhotoGrid_1374357893330_zps57d11651.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  680.1 KB
Normal wear vs excessive this came out of a Yamaha but same premise. 6th gear is on the right second is left.

Quick Reply: Bike wont stay in second gear