F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light problem

i just went out and bout a 02 f41. as i drove it home the fi light came on and the headlights stopped working. the light blinks seven times..temp sensor malfunction or something of the sorts, ok the lights still dont work high or low and no indicator on the tack screen for high beam, and another thing i will note is that when you flip the kill switch from off to on it starts itself without hitting the button, at first i thought thats what it did till i started digging i found a wiring diagram and started going through the harness. now correct me im wrong both headlights share ground and power, power from fuse black/red to starter button and the high beam relay, which when not pressed transfers the power to the blue/white going to the dimmer switch for constant power to the low beam, from there the white gos into the relay for high beam. now i have power through the fuse and up the the starter switch but none coming out. but the bike still starts so i took the throttle housing apart and all the connections going into the switch are fine. i tryed jumping the hot to see if the lights came on and nothing happens. but thats where im loosing power. i got to thinking about it, the bikes not suppose to start itself is it? i wouldnt think so cuz that would be dumb. second question is how can i test this switch to ensure im not replacing parts that are not broken. giving what ive said im looking for opinions from you professionals on here.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bunch of veiws, no replys..i just need to know if its suppose to roll over and start when i turn the kill switch to on without hitting starter button. and i wanted to clarify that i have the wiring right. if so i can say faulty switch. but i dont even know if i had the right diagram. new to this bike some experience would be greatly appreciated....

Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Is your start button stuck? If not the relay may be.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jmanwarner
bunch of veiws, no replys..i just need to know if its suppose to roll over and start when i turn the kill switch to on without hitting starter button. and i wanted to clarify that i have the wiring right. if so i can say faulty switch. but i dont even know if i had the right diagram. new to this bike some experience would be greatly appreciated....
Gave it a whole 5hours eh? lol.
I don't know the answers to your wiring questions, but I've had the headlight problem [it was a bad solder connection inside the housing] and no, it should not crank when you flip the button to run.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The start circuit is designed to kill the lights during cranking. If it's stuck cranking, then the lights will be off.

hopefully you didn't have it running with the starter engaged....