CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

turn signal problem--> turned into tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal problem--> turned into tail light problem

(continued from my last post)
ok, new turn of events.the rear blinker WAS indeed broken. I replaced both of them and now they both work. but now my front and rear turn signals flash twice as fast as normal, and my tail light is out. when i tap my brake, my brake light comes on though. I checked both filaments, and i do not believe it is the bulbs. Im concerned that it might be related to the fact that i had plugged the flasher back in (after looking for a new one due to my previous suspicion) WHILE the bike (lights/indicators) was on. could i have shorted something by doing this? All filiments for all of the bulbs are not broken, and they all work properly, except for my taillight. Obviously this is enormously unsafe, so until i can resolve this, my poor motorcycle will be sheltered in my garage. are there minor things i could try to swap out to check (like a compatible flasher) or am i better off getting this to a bike shop in a few months?(when i have the money for something like that)

Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Default RE: turn signal problem--> turned into tail light problem

Hey:

Check and recheck tailight connections and grounds for a good tight connection. Trace
all the wires back and confirm that there is not a wire that is nicked or shorting, but connections
should be checked 1st. then go from there.

Dub

Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 PM

You need a test light, or a DVOM (Digital Volt/Ohmmeter). You really must have these in order to do ANY kind of electrical work on ANYTHING. Easiest way to check for power and ground is test light, breaks in the wire, ohmmeter.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:33 AM

ok, thanks. I will check for continuity and shorts the next time i get a chunk of free time. I will post back with results.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM

i checked the unit coming from the flasher box to my tail light. the negative, low(taillight), and high(brakelight) all work properly. the bulbs dont have damaged filaments either. I am concerned that i damaged either the flasher box, or the much bigger, much more expensive looking box that sits between the flasher box and the taillight, turn signals, and licenseplate light. Is it take-it-to-the-shop-time, or is there something else i can do, like look for a new flasher box at an autoparts store?
I already took it to autozone, napa, and o'rielly, thinking the flasher box to be the problem to begin with, but when crossed referenced, they found nothing, and when i went to plug it back in, i didnt realize that the bike (and lights) where already turned on. Could this have killed my flasher box, or that other box with tons of wiring in it?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Ok, there are two bulbs in that circuit, and both are dual element bulbs. Did you make sure that both bulbs were 1157 bulbs? 1156 are single element and won't have a bright and dim illumination. I would try changing the bulbs first. They are the cheapest thing. That box should not have anything to do with your brake light or running light. If you are getting in over your head, take it to the shop.