F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Last night scare

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last night scare

So it was around 12 oclock and i was following my friend to his house. I kno the neighborhood very well i travel through it all the tme. He had told me the day before they had just blacktoped the main road through the subdivision right next to this parkway river. So i was way behind my friend who already got to his house and was coming up to this main road with a median and I c that it is blacktopped as i slow down and start to take the corner i realize that this is far from blacktop and just the little rubber pellets crap that just looks black. I was turning left and my back tired started to slip out but i did not go down but somehow was able to keep it up no harm done.I am always paying close attension and usually very good at picking out problems with roads but this just took me off gaurd. I guess it just scared me because i never really have close calls like that.
just wanted to see if anyone has a similar story?

Nic

Old 08-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Last night scare

the worst for me is when i see one of those signs that say "fresh oil and chips" on back roads. anyone have any tips for dealing with this stuf? never had any problems on it yet because i just ride super slow on it.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: rws381
never had any problems on it yet because i just ride super slow on it.
exatly. just keep in mind that if the rear starts to step out DON'T chop the throttle. Just hold the throttle steady and it will straighten out.

Scariest one I have had so far was on my Sister-in-law's gravel driveway. It slopes down at about 30* into a county road. You have to stop at the bottom because it's a blind drive. You touch the front brake and you are going to be on the ground. You have to just kind of drag the rear tire the whole way down.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: rws381

the worst for me is when i see one of those signs that say "fresh oil and chips" on back roads. anyone have any tips for dealing with this stuf? never had any problems on it yet because i just ride super slow on it.
My parents live on a road that is oiled and chipped once every summer and its never something used to more just learn to deal with it. If you don't have to travel on the road your obvious best bet then is not to. Its extremely dangerous and corners are a pain in the *** believe me. I just wrecked my bike two weeks ago due to the fact that they do not sweep the road my parents live on. Thats what really kills motorcyclists is the corners. If they don't sweep the roads the rock all goes to the shoulders especially on corners. I came into the corner like I do every other time going 65 (its a very well traveled road and a slight corner) the rock that had been sent to the edge was just enough to get me out of control and flipped into the ditch. So I would say your best bet is, if you don't have to ride on that road or know an alternative way around it, don't ride on it.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:28 AM

good job looking out and keeping the ruber side down.

I would have to say my scariest experience was when i was on my favorite set of twisties on a left turn up a hill and a semi came down the hill at me with his trailer in the ditch spewing rocks and gravel across the road while i had my knee on the ground. Luckily my front tire didnt tuck on me, but the rear stepped out pretty good and put me into wobble that almost ended up in a highside. I cant believe I saved that one.