My new bike and first scare

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new bike and first scare

Well today after getting home from school i decided to take the rr out for a ride to build up some miles on it and get it through the break in im going with the cruise it staying between 4-6000 rpms and occasionally take it up between 7-8000 for less then a second it was a suggestion from another on this site and after researching the subject a little its how i decided i will break my bike in. I kinda figure its right between babying the bike and thrashing it. Although i have gotten on it a few times a little less then full throttle never for longer then two or three seconds.....but anyway on the way home i came up on a very long and gentle left turn and i was experimenting with the push left go left push right go right thing just takin it easy and getting a feel for my bike so im about midway through the turn slightly leaning with the bike and all of a sudden the bike is going in a straight line right off the road it was a little scary for a second but i just sat up and very gently braked and slowed down enough to continue through the turn but it was a very humbling experience i was starting to forget how easily a bike thats way to much bike for me in the first place could easily get away from me id like to think maybe it was that nasty compound on the tires still since my bike only has 61 miles on it but i feel most likely i was just overconfident and went into the turn a little to hot for my riding skill anyway im glad i didnt go down and that i was wearing all my gear I feel much better once i get some frame sliders on im seriously dreading the first drop

Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Default RE: My new bike and first scare

Yea uh.......wish I had the same experience...actually it sounds like I did, but I ended up on my head![:'(] Luckily you did not!!

Old 08-17-2006, 01:14 AM

Target fixation.

you look where you want to go. you were looking at the outside of the corner, weren't you? at the white line and the stuff right in front of the wheel... you need to work on your bend-in-the-road technique a lot more.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:19 AM

I don't remember what I was looking at but I do remember the grass upside down!!

Old 08-17-2006, 01:21 AM

i wasn't necessarily commenting on your story, but you could probably benefit from it as well.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:32 AM

Definite benefit!!! It sounds like I did the exact same thing, going into the turn and direction, and going in a straight line instead of turning, I ended up on my head!

Not trying to steal the glory of your story......just jealous that we had the same incident and you made it out of it scratch free!!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 AM

Braking in a turn isnt really a good idea either for future reference...before yes but never in a turn.Ive been there before tho so i feel your pain so to speak...try looking further ahead instead of right in front of the tire as mentioned above.As u get better at looking ahead youll find that u can go thru a trun more smoothly each time....yadda yadda yadda...sooooo much stuff..have fun most of all..but make sure...to use your brain...LOL

Old 08-17-2006, 02:13 AM

by bend in the road technique do you mean it as like my turning technique or what ? and come to think of it you guys are 100 percent right its happened to me once before on a friends bike i almost stare at one point and then the bike goes straight well i cant wait to go ride again tomorrow scary to think though had i been going even 10-15 mph faster i probably wouldnt have been able to slow down enough and possibly crashed into a white steel fence

Old 08-17-2006, 02:23 AM

i've used the front brake plenty of times while going through a corner just not very HARD. it was used more to bring my speed down JUST a little. if you're braking hard in a turn, you need to square up first and then brake hard, otherwise you'll highside for sure.

Bend in the road technique is simply that, your technique during a bend in the road, or a slight full speed curve. they can be real bitches sometimes, but it needs to be taken care of, otherwise you'll end up taking a right curve and end up in the left lane... not a good place to be.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:33 AM

oh ok tomorrow ill practice looking through the turn i dont think i even needed to brake at all its just i didnt know what else to do at the time it was kind of like a panic reaction but i did break very very gently im surprised i was able to stay calm enough to not just grab a handful

Quick Reply: My new bike and first scare