F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how critical is changing coolant regularly?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DBEAU
Just go to your Honda store and pick up some regular Honda bike coolant. It will work just fine and you can have your peace of mind too.
Dident really answer my question, actually nothing to do with my question, but ok.... thnx anyways I guess.

Originally Posted by Elfling
I think it's the same coolant for whatever machine?

http://www.engineice.com/street_main.html

FWIW, the dirtbike/motocross guys I know here in Tampa swear by it, they say they wouldn't even think of running in the summer without it. They say you don't get the ridiculous temp drop the bottle claims you do, but it's enough to be noticeable.
Thanks Elfling, thats the info I was lookin for. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 06-25-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:55 PM

engine ice is awesome. Its critical but not as critical as flushing your brake fluid every 2 yrs.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nickels
there it is bigger so you can see it im sayin the engine has more HP and last longer if it runs around 200 instead of 225...not saying if you use a certain product it will do this and that but a cooler running engine (to a certain point of course) has more HP than a hot running engine
See here in lies the problem, your wrong. Hotter engine temps means better efficiancy if you can control detonation. Your confused because colder intake air temps mean more power [air is more dense the colder it gets], and normally the hotter an engine runs the hotter it gets the air temps as they travel threw the cylinder heads ports to the combustion chamber. Don't believe me? Run a engine on the dyno at 175*. Then run it at 210* but a intercooler on it to keep the air intake temps the same when they hit the chamber.
Ever go to the car drags? Notice them icing down the intake manifold and nothing else?

To the original question- coolant will break down over time. If you haven't seen a temp change in your normal system temps then don't worry about it too much. If you have the money then do it once every couple of years.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 PM

Did you know...running pure water will make your engine run cooler.
Why you ask, because what are calling coolant is actually anti-freeze\coolant (unless you have ice)

You only need the anti-freeze\coolant for cold weather, so if you change it yearly, add water for spring, and then drain half and fill with anti-freeze for fall.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM

engine ice is great for dirt bikes or track bikes

personally i wouldn't run it in my street bike

when your coolant temp sensor (under the throttle bodies) reaches 225 degrees, the thermostat (fan switch, at radiator) is around 205 degrees and is triggered

with engine ice, the difference between those temperature increases because engine ice expells heat quicker. i can't quote temps on it, but it can cause the fan not to trigger until much higher than 225 degrees at the coolant temp sensor
in turn making your motor run hotter than it usually would