CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   how critical is changing coolant regularly? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/how-critical-changing-coolant-regularly-96114/)

Rick619 06-25-2009 10:05 AM

how critical is changing coolant regularly?

I've only got 16k miles on the bike and don't think the coolant has been changed before.

Can running old coolant damage anything if it never gets too hot and the fluid still looks clean???
I wasn't sure but i thought i heard something about it becoming corrosive after a while.
Thoughts? thanks
________
INTERRACIAL FRENCH

nickels 06-25-2009 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rick619 (Post 802139)
I've only got 16k miles on the bike and don't think the coolant has been changed before.

Can running old coolant damage anything if it never gets too hot and the fluid still looks clean???
I wasn't sure but i thought i heard something about it becoming corrosive after a while.
Thoughts? thanks

if its not gettin hot then i wouldnt worry about it but new stuff is always better....i would put engine ice in it though if you got 35 bucks layin around...cooler temps make more HP and makes the engine last longer

DBEAU 06-25-2009 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by nickels (Post 802149)
if its not gettin hot then i wouldnt worry about it but new stuff is always better....i would put engine ice in it though if you got 35 bucks layin around...cooler temps make more HP and makes the engine last longer

You do realize that not everything on the back of the bottle is true right?

nickels 06-25-2009 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by DBEAU (Post 802180)
You do realize that not everything on the back of the bottle is true right?

im assuming your talking bout the extra hp and longer lasting engine comment and yes those 2 things are very true....i didnt even read the back of the bottle to know that info is facts and i wasnt sayin it bcuz of the engine ice...its just plain facts no matter what you use

gotcbr 06-25-2009 12:01 PM

I would change it...easy project & gives peace of mind. Unless you're running the bike hard in harsh environments, you're *probably* ok but its just better to change it for fresh fluid.

I ride year-round & change mine every spring. Then again, I put on a lot of miles. ;-)

Joey_f4i 06-25-2009 12:11 PM

Is the original Engine Ice coolant for cars ok to use on motorbikes or is there a special kind of Engine Ice for bikes?
I'm a bit anal about using things ment for motorbikes, its a "ease of mind" kinda thing.
Anyone know?

DBEAU 06-25-2009 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i (Post 802191)
Is the original Engine Ice coolant for cars ok to use on motorbikes or is there a special kind of Engine Ice for bikes?
I'm a bit anal about using things ment for motorbikes, its a "ease of mind" kinda thing.
Anyone know?

Just go to your Honda store and pick up some regular Honda bike coolant. It will work just fine and you can have your peace of mind too.

DBEAU 06-25-2009 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by nickels (Post 802183)
im assuming your talking bout the extra hp and longer lasting engine comment and yes those 2 things are very true....i didnt even read the back of the bottle to know that info is facts and i wasnt sayin it bcuz of the engine ice...its just plain facts no matter what you use

So you're saying that using Engine Ice rather than Honda coolant will yield more horsepower?

Elfling 06-25-2009 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i (Post 802191)
Anyone know?

I think it's the same coolant for whatever machine?

http://www.engineice.com/street_main.html

FWIW, the dirtbike/motocross guys I know here in Tampa swear by it, they say they wouldn't even think of running in the summer without it. They say you don't get the ridiculous temp drop the bottle claims you do, but it's enough to be noticeable.

nickels 06-25-2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by nickels (Post 802183)

Originally Posted by DBEAU (Post 802211)
So you're saying that using Engine Ice rather than Honda coolant will yield more horsepower?

there it is bigger so you can see it :icon_doh: im sayin the engine has more HP and last longer if it runs around 200 instead of 225...not saying if you use a certain product it will do this and that but a cooler running engine (to a certain point of course) has more HP than a hot running engine