F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how critical is changing coolant regularly?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how critical is changing coolant regularly?

I've only got 16k miles on the bike and don't think the coolant has been changed before.

Can running old coolant damage anything if it never gets too hot and the fluid still looks clean???
I wasn't sure but i thought i heard something about it becoming corrosive after a while.
Thoughts? thanks
________
INTERRACIAL FRENCH

Last edited by Rick619; 03-21-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick619
I've only got 16k miles on the bike and don't think the coolant has been changed before.

Can running old coolant damage anything if it never gets too hot and the fluid still looks clean???
I wasn't sure but i thought i heard something about it becoming corrosive after a while.
Thoughts? thanks

if its not gettin hot then i wouldnt worry about it but new stuff is always better....i would put engine ice in it though if you got 35 bucks layin around...cooler temps make more HP and makes the engine last longer

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by nickels
if its not gettin hot then i wouldnt worry about it but new stuff is always better....i would put engine ice in it though if you got 35 bucks layin around...cooler temps make more HP and makes the engine last longer
You do realize that not everything on the back of the bottle is true right?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF

Originally Posted by DBEAU
You do realize that not everything on the back of the bottle is true right?

im assuming your talking bout the extra hp and longer lasting engine comment and yes those 2 things are very true....i didnt even read the back of the bottle to know that info is facts and i wasnt sayin it bcuz of the engine ice...its just plain facts no matter what you use

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would change it...easy project & gives peace of mind. Unless you're running the bike hard in harsh environments, you're *probably* ok but its just better to change it for fresh fluid.

I ride year-round & change mine every spring. Then again, I put on a lot of miles. ;-)

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Is the original Engine Ice coolant for cars ok to use on motorbikes or is there a special kind of Engine Ice for bikes?
I'm a bit **** about using things ment for motorbikes, its a "ease of mind" kinda thing.
Anyone know?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i
Is the original Engine Ice coolant for cars ok to use on motorbikes or is there a special kind of Engine Ice for bikes?
I'm a bit **** about using things ment for motorbikes, its a "ease of mind" kinda thing.
Anyone know?
Just go to your Honda store and pick up some regular Honda bike coolant. It will work just fine and you can have your peace of mind too.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 PM

im assuming your talking bout the extra hp and longer lasting engine comment and yes those 2 things are very true....i didnt even read the back of the bottle to know that info is facts and i wasnt sayin it bcuz of the engine ice...its just plain facts no matter what you use
So you're saying that using Engine Ice rather than Honda coolant will yield more horsepower?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i
Anyone know?
I think it's the same coolant for whatever machine?

http://www.engineice.com/street_main.html

FWIW, the dirtbike/motocross guys I know here in Tampa swear by it, they say they wouldn't even think of running in the summer without it. They say you don't get the ridiculous temp drop the bottle claims you do, but it's enough to be noticeable.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF

Originally Posted by DBEAU
So you're saying that using Engine Ice rather than Honda coolant will yield more horsepower?

there it is bigger so you can see it im sayin the engine has more HP and last longer if it runs around 200 instead of 225...not saying if you use a certain product it will do this and that but a cooler running engine (to a certain point of course) has more HP than a hot running engine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how critical is changing coolant regularly?