F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

At Home Powder Coating A Sucess

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post, thanks! For those that have access to a sand/bead blaster, a light spray using glass beads does wonders for the surface preparation. It will give you a uniform satin texture, even in the areas that are hard to reach. As zimdbw74 says, the prep work determines the quality of the final product.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebr65
This is amazing, great work! Just curious for those of us without air tools, what method of spraying did you use (compressed air)? Does the kit require an air compressor or are there canisters that can be attached? 25psi is nothing, I know HF has those small pancake air compressors for dirt cheap.
This kit does require an air compressor. I have a small 8 gallon one for odds and end garage work but a small pancake compressor should be plenty for this.

If you didn't want the added expense of an air compressor the Craftsman Kit is a self contained system that does not require and air compressor. The quality of the craftsman gun is from what Ive read not the greatest but you the end result is the same. You Can pick one up on ebay for about $35

Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 PM

When I've done powdercoating, we used an old electric range. Put the metal grate in the highest groove and use it to suspend the parts. I figured laying them on something would cause the coat to have bare spots

After using a blast cabinet on a few parts, I found it was easier to just use aircraft stripper to remove paint/coating from most parts. Especially on the clutch cover that has a bearing pressed inside it, won't get sand in there.

Name:  statorside.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  clutchside.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  32.5 KB

I wish I'd never gotten rid of that bike

Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bwayers
When I've done powdercoating, we used an old electric range. Put the metal grate in the highest groove and use it to suspend the parts. I figured laying them on something would cause the coat to have bare spots

After using a blast cabinet on a few parts, I found it was easier to just use aircraft stripper to remove paint/coating from most parts. Especially on the clutch cover that has a bearing pressed inside it, won't get sand in there.

Yeah I keep searching craigslist for an old electric range so I can do larger parts like the stator cover and clutch cover. I have some friends at work that want to try and do rims and other large parts from their projects. I don't have access to a blast cabinet so I did use aircraft stripper on my rear sets because I had previously painted them and it worked great.

Your parts look top notch. Good job

Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Thanks,

I wish I'd done my lower fork tubes. That greenish brown honda put on those and the stator and clutch cover did nothing for the bike.

Not sure about everyone else, but I use eastwood powder and was always very pleased with it. Their high gloss black matches the black paint on the lower side fairings nicely.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

Yeah I'm not a fan of the fork tubes either. been debating whether I want to keep my bike and re-spring the forks and powder the fork tubes or move on to a newer bike.