Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coating

I'm toying with having my rearsets and passenger pegs powder coated black. Also, the shift linkage rod and shift arm.

On the linkage rod there are a couple of rod-ends that have rubber seals on them. Obviously, they either need to be disassembled before coating or not coated...which is it? Can those parts be purchased in black (i.e. for an LE)? What about the threads? Is powder coating too thick to be applied to threads? Seems like it would be, so for adjustable parts, what do you do?

Has anyone else had their rearsets (especially off an '08 or '09) powder coated? Any advice?

I don't know how serious I am about this...removing and reinstalling those passenger pegs looks like a massive pain...maybe I'll just take 'em off and leave them off.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woogie
I'm toying with having my rearsets and passenger pegs powder coated black. Also, the shift linkage rod and shift arm.

On the linkage rod there are a couple of rod-ends that have rubber seals on them. Obviously, they either need to be disassembled before coating or not coated...which is it? Can those parts be purchased in black (i.e. for an LE)? What about the threads? Is powder coating too thick to be applied to threads? Seems like it would be, so for adjustable parts, what do you do?

Has anyone else had their rearsets (especially off an '08 or '09) powder coated? Any advice?

I don't know how serious I am about this...removing and reinstalling those passenger pegs looks like a massive pain...maybe I'll just take 'em off and leave them off.

Check out my bike, I have the rear pegs powder coated and it is a pain to get them off/on, but the look is worth it. There is a thread in either this section or the other 1000 section that tells how to do it. As far as rearsets, I changed mine out to the Vortex ones, but it was pretty easy. Not as hard as you might think.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking that new rearsets might be an option. Are Vortex that much better than stock for standard riding, or are they just beneficial for racing?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just do standard riding and they are fine. There really isn't an added benefit other than they look cool. I have a rev shift pattern which I think is more comfortable. With the Vortex I had to get a brake light sensor seperate so my brake light would come on when I pressed on the rear brake, but other than that they are good.