F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help quick. Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help quick. Clutch replacement

Burnt my clutch up tonight practicing launches for the strip tomorrow. So, I'm heading over to the Honda store in the morning to grab a new clutch set. What exactly will I need?? Friction disks, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, etc?? I want to be able to throw this in tomorrow morning before the races so that I can still make at least a few laps... Any info let me know...

Also is replacing the clutch like doing a f3? I've helped a guy replace a clutch on an f3, but not on an f4i...Thanks and appreciate any input.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Help quick. Clutch replacement

ORIGINAL: CBRrider01

Burnt my clutch up tonight practicing launches for the strip tomorrow. So, I'm heading over to the Honda store in the morning to grab a new clutch set. What exactly will I need?? Friction disks, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, etc?? I want to be able to throw this in tomorrow morning before the races so that I can still make at least a few laps... Any info let me know...

Also is replacing the clutch like doing a f3? I've helped a guy replace a clutch on an f3, but not on an f4i...Thanks and appreciate any input.
bikes dont have pilot bushings and throw out bearings.

Steels/clutch disks and new springs

https://cbrforum.com/m_267295/tm.htm

Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 PM

Good read. Thanks for the link. Nice and simple

Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 AM

So I go out and buy a radiant garage heater, tear my clutch out at night, price shop on an oem clutch since the local dealer matches prices on oem products. Go to bed early, get up early and get at the dealer right @ 9:00 when they open their doors. I couldn't beleive my ears... A Huge Honda powerhousedealer doesn't stock OEM clutches. (friction plates, pressure plates, etc.) After asking why not they tell me "They don't sell enough of them"...... Come on. I'm sure they sell at least 1-2 a year. Why not keep one in stock and when they sell it order another?? I work service at a dealership. If I went into parts to get a part that we sell a few times a year and they didn'tkeep it in stock I'd be pissed... That's money lost forservice and parts...Are all powerhouse stores runwith minimal partsin stock, do these clutches run forever if you don't doact like an idiot (Yes Idid the damage practicing multiple hole shots one after another)or does this one just have a crappy parts manager? /end rant.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:48 PM

Welcome to the world of cycle parts. Nobody has anything in stock. I don't even ask anymore, i go to hondaparts-direct and wait a week. The thing about dealers that pisses meoffis that if they aren't doing the work they don't really want to help you. I couldn't get the dealer down the street to sell me wheel weights because i wasn't paying them $50 to mount the tire and they would have "liability issues". I watched a dealer charge $1000 for parts and 3.5 hours labor for a clutch, I told the guy to order the parts and do it himself right there. The clerk gave me a dirty look and proceded to convince the man he was to stupid for such a major project. Anybody who reads this that doesn't do your own work don't go to a dealer go to a small shop. Whew don't get me started on dealers.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:52 AM

wow someone else that has the same problems with getting parts. the only thing that is in stock around here is stupid crap for GSXR's or gear for some one that wears a Small or XXX Large and this is at a shop 10 feet from a Honda Dealer lol

Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 PM

donnie, Working at an auto dealer I'll agree. Very expensive and will try to sell you anything..Evenengine oil flushes that run solvent thru your engine and are harmfull to your engine. Thing is in the auto "andof coursemotorcycle" world everybody gets paid commission. The tech gets paid off of the hours he turns (If he's standing around he's at work for free), the advisor gets paid a % of labor/parts sold and parts (depending on the actual dealer) usually gets paid off of aof profit of the parts sold. There are less and less hourly people every year at dealers.. Therefore the more they rip you off the more they get paid. Most of these people are decent people. Just the way it works if you want to make even $10.00 an hour once all is said and done.... Aftermarket shops are following suit to compete.. It's a tough business to be in...Just the way it is..
This dealer used to be a Honda dealer located in the middle of town. It never bothered me to have to order the parts. I never expected them to have the parts in stock. Once they got approved to be a powerhouse dealer and built a new facility with a building that aloneis over a quarter acre in size is when I expected them to have parts in stock....
As far as independent shops go, that's not always the best either.. Just ad dealers are known for ripping you off, independent shops are known for selling you stuff you don't need and "shotgun diagnosing" vehicles. The profile is pretty much true.. Live in a city of over 100,000 and surprisingly the only shop I'd trust to do any work on my car is one specific junk yards shop.