F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hack that fender off!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plate light---go without the plate light-sounds sketchy but i'm not too worried about being pulled over for no plate light---if the cops are behind you, they'll be able to read the plate just fine simply from their lights.

for example, above on Akens bike-instead of having the plate where he has it, simply move it up so it's flush with the factory light BUT when doing so, the keyhole will be covered........any suggestions????

Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by VTcbr
plate light---go without the plate light-sounds sketchy but i'm not too worried about being pulled over for no plate light---if the cops are behind you, they'll be able to read the plate just fine simply from their lights.

for example, above on Akens bike-instead of having the plate where he has it, simply move it up so it's flush with the factory light BUT when doing so, the keyhole will be covered........any suggestions????
I think if you drill a hole big enough for the key/key hole you should be fine. I doubt it will be THAT noticeable, depending on the location of the hole. Like I said before you may just be missing a letter in the State's name on the top of the plate. NBD.

I think thats what I am gonna do once I hack off my fender.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 PM

Uniqsol are you going without a plate light when you do it?

Then again all you would have to do is drill a hole wide enough for the keyhole and that's it-not the entire outter portion of the exposed lock...i'm looking around for some aftermarket LED blinkers to top it off.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 AM

Uniqsol are you going without a plate light when you do it?

Then again all you would have to do is drill a hole wide enough for the keyhole and that's it-not the entire outter portion of the exposed lock...i'm looking around for some aftermarket LED blinkers to top it off.
Yeah, I will probably just put a cap on the end of the wires and tuck them away. I dont usually ride at night anyway.

I plan to do front and back LED signals (with resistors), hack off the fender, drill a hole for the key (like you said just big enough for the key...not the whole lock face) and forgo the plate light.

The local shop has a nice set of front LED signals that are made specifically for the f4i, so it actually sucks right up to the opening in the fairing (since it is slightly recessed into the fairing towards the rear of the signal base). And I will just do some universal ones for the rear.

Are the rear signals uber easy to remove? I think it is just a nut inside the fender that is accessible from underneath...right?

Also, I have never removed my lower fairing, is it fairly straight forward? Are there any tips you all might have?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 AM

Hotbodies makes a perfect fit for a flushmount front LED blinker on an f4i...

Removing the rear blinkers along with the lower fairing is very straight foward!

Post some pics of the finished product fender if you get a chance!!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:27 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I've had no plate lights since I bought the bike 3 1/2 years ago (it came with the fender chopped), and I've been stopped a couple of times with no mentions of it.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea if he cut the plate or not. Maybe mounted it to the side?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 AM

You could always mount the plate right over the keyhole and when access is needed for the keyhole simply remove the plate---nahh, too much hassle.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 AM

You could always mount the plate right over the keyhole and when access is needed for the keyhole simply remove the plate---nahh, too much hassle.
WAAAAAAY too much hassle. Drilling a hole in the plate makes more sense. You could do a hinge on the top of the plate if you didnt want to cut it, but you would want to find a way to lock it in place so it isnt swinging back and forth as you ride...that would look ridiculous.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

this is as far as Im willing to hack mine: Name:  back1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  184.0 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hack that fender off!