F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

gas cap problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas cap problem

I went to fill up the tank recently and had a hell of a time trying to open the cap! The key turns fine like it should, and when I push down on the cap to close it, the key springs back to it's original position likeit should, but when I'm trying to open it, the cap won't pop up like it normally would.

What I'm having to do is pull up on the cap while turning the key. And I'm barely able to get it open. I get the feeling that I won't be able to open it one day.

So I shot some WD-40 in the lock and the locking mechanisms under the cap, you know, the 2 tabs that's supposed to retract when you turn the key. And that hasn't helped at all. Those tabs don't seem to retract much at all. That looks to be the problem.

So I'd like to take the locking mechanism of the cap apart to see if I can get it to work properly, but see no way to do it. I don't see any screws, clips or anything.

Any ideas?

Old 07-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Default RE: gas cap problem

not sure if this helps but on mine I have to push down the cap a lil while a turn the key, either that or turn the key to unlock it then puch the cap down and then pull it up... Mines been like that since I got the bike goin on 2 yrs now.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:49 PM

I had the same problem with mine. In the gas tank itself there is a metal looking bar that you can see when you look it (im not sure what its called or what it does) but when you punp gas it can sometimes get pushed up a by the gas nozzle when pumping. Just put screw driver on that metal peice and push it down a little bit or use your hand to tap it like a hammer . I think it was somehow getting caught on the release for the tank lock and pushing it down keeps it out of the way. hope this helps!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: 02cbrf4i4u

I had the same problem with mine. In the gas tank itself there is a metal looking bar that you can see when you look it (im not sure what its called or what it does) but when you punp gas it can sometimes get pushed up a by the gas nozzle when pumping. Just put screw driver on that metal peice and push it down a little bit or use your hand to tap it like a hammer . I think it was somehow getting caught on the release for the tank lock and pushing it down keeps it out of the way. hope this helps!
From what I understand, that bar is where you're supposed tofill the gas up to. I'll look into it.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: roldaphat9

not sure if this helps but on mine I have to push down the cap a lil while a turn the key, either that or turn the key to unlock it then puch the cap down and then pull it up... Mines been like that since I got the bike goin on 2 yrs now.
I've been doing that, too, but it's getting alot worse. One day, I'll be at the pumps, and I won't be able to open it!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 AM

I noticed the same problem with mine after I took the cap assymbly off of the gas tank. Think I just gonna get the chrome Vortex screw on kind anyway

Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 AM

i have the same problems too

i usually just push on my gas cap a little to get it to open, i think it was designed that way

and the metal bar inside is the gas fill line...and ive bent it on a gas pump nozzle before, wont be leaning the nozzle against that anymore