F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with that was either a bad battery or a blown fuse.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM

you either have a bad battery or there is a short. I would check the voltage regulator/Rectifier. as far as the fuel issue there could be a number of things going on. weak spark(plugs, pcm, coils, etc...) or it could be fuel delivery(fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, etc...).

alot of this can be checked, so the cost to you will just be your time.

I wish I could be more helpful, but there are just too many variables.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 PM

update 3.25 - put a brand new battery in. still had to throttle all the way to get it to start. idled for maybe little less than a minute then died. i started to take out the plugs. after taking one out, i noticed the slightest bit of oil on the plug. i ordered 4 new ones since no shop around here had any in stock. hopefully that will fix one of the problems *fingers crossed*

Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 PM

Sorry to hear about that, especially with a practically brand new bike....I would have been jumping up and down to get a bike like that! Anyway, as you have probably read, I had tried almost everything possible. I am not the best bike mechanic, but I have learned a lot on this forum. At first it was the battery, then the regulator/rectifier, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, you name it I tried to test it. But as you read it was a little ole fuse. Of course it was an expensive fuse, but the relief I feel in knowing that it was JUST a fuse far outweighs the hole in my pocket where that $108 used to be. The dealership was a last resort, but it worked. Now I no longer want to shove it over in my garage anymore or have to come up with comebacks to all my suzuki loving friends! That's annoying, I think they're overrated myself.....

Anyway, I too had run seafoam through the system, changed plugs, air and oil filter, oil, battery....and it was a fuse. Sooo....I know letting a bike sit like yours did is really bad for them, I just spent a year trying to get a 99 F4 back to running right after it sat for over a year, so I feel your pain....but it DID get back to running form....so try and be patient althought it's hard. There IS a solution out there for it. It may end up costing you some dough but at least it will be fixed right.

Let me know if I can help any....and good luck with the bike...let us know how it works out!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 PM

update 3.30 - things just keep getting better and better!
installed new plugs but throttle is still necessary to start bike. as soon as i started it, fuel started shooting out of the exhaust like a hose!!! i did some research and if im not mistaken, it sounds like i need to inspect the fuel pressure regulator. Not sure what to do with it though. I'm on my last straw and about to take it into the shop. HELP!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by BrandNew2002
update 3.30 - things just keep getting better and better!
installed new plugs but throttle is still necessary to start bike. as soon as i started it, fuel started shooting out of the exhaust like a hose!!! i did some research and if im not mistaken, it sounds like i need to inspect the fuel pressure regulator. Not sure what to do with it though. I'm on my last straw and about to take it into the shop. HELP!
fuel out of the exhaust tells me your FPR is def bad, most likely gummed up from bad gas as was mine. u should test it & get it replaced if necessary. its not hard to do, just pull the line off at the tank & if no gas comes out of the FPR hose with the motor running, its going into the engine instead(flooding it).

u dont wanna run the motor long with gas in it, so test the FPR, then get that oil drained & replaced.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM

update 4.7 - i dropped the bike off at the shop last Saturday and received a call earlier this afternoon. With the combination of fuel and oil, I've somehow hydro locked my motor. Also, the assumptions were correct, my FPR is bad and a new one has been ordered. now i sit back and wait....

Old 04-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BrandNew2002
update 4.7 - i dropped the bike off at the shop last Saturday and received a call earlier this afternoon. With the combination of fuel and oil, I've somehow hydro locked my motor. Also, the assumptions were correct, my FPR is bad and a new one has been ordered. now i sit back and wait....
hehe sorry but i warned you about that no biggie, just pull each spark plug out one at a time & crank the motor to get the gas out of the cylinders. i was in same position on my bike when i got it. good luck man!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM

I'm leaving it in the shops hands now. Thanks again for all your help drew.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Update 4.20 - the f4i is back on the streets!