F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Issue?

Hello to everyone at CBR Forum!

I recently picked up a 2002 cbr600 f4i with little under 600 miles. The bike had sat for 4 years (long story) because the previous owner never rode it.

Unfortunately, i've run into some issues....

The battery seems to fail at holding its charge. Its a brand new battery, and i've left it on a charger overnight but when i go to start it in the morning, nothing...(i left it charged last night and rode it for a few hours today so i'll check it tomorrow morning again)

The bike had trouble starting as well. I would need to give a little throttle to get it going. I changed the oil the other day to find myself in complete shock. I drained the oil filled up an entire 4qt jug and a 2 liter bottle. Don't know why there was so much oil in there! Put new oil in and it started up fine.

Now to today...rode for almost 7 hours and towards the end of the day, the bike started cutting out on me when i would put it into 1st gear. Also, around 6000+ RPM, the bike would "stutter" while riding. My buddy said he smells gas from my exhaust. The fuel pump was replaced with the original owner...not sure the story behind it.

The airbox looks clean and all the wires and fuses look ok, as far as i can see. The plugs have NOT been changed nor looked at yet.

I'm sort of a rookie when it comes to bikes, considering this is my first one.

I apologize for the long post but ANY help would be must appreciated!

Last edited by BrandNew2002; 03-20-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently picked up a 2002 cbr600 f4i with little under 600 miles
Lucky you

I'm thinking it might be this: LINK. But I'm no mechanic... maybe try running a 1/2 bottle of Sea Foam through the tank first to see if it doesn't clear things out a little. Did you change the old gas that was in there before running it?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 PM

thanks for the link! started up with a little help from the throttle only to blow gray smoke that smells a lot like fuel.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BrandNew2002
I recently picked up a 2002 cbr600 f4i with little under 600 miles. The bike had sat for 4 years (long story) because the previous owner never rode it.

That should be illegal!!! Poor bike, barely even broken in...

Old 03-21-2010, 04:25 PM

update 3/21 - rode for a few hours today. bike continued to "hesitate" and "stutter" around 6-8k, especially throughout 1st gear. Sometimes it cuts off during idle. added some fuel injector cleaner along with new gas right before i got home. still having trouble starting. i need to hit the throttle to start it.

On top of all this, i got my first battle wound. Tried avoiding a squirrel taking off in first, hit the front brake pretty hard and dropped the bike. small crack and a few scrapes on the right fairing

Last edited by BrandNew2002; 03-21-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Bummer about the squirrel. If it's any consolation we've all had our falls, hopefully you were ok from the fall. There's another thread that's actually going on right now in this same board that may be very useful to you. The guy in the original post is having the same problems you're having. Post in this thread, you may have even already seen it...and maybe try some of the stuff that have been posted by other members in that thread. Hope it helps... https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/really-frustrated-107474/

Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM

update 3.22 - tried starting the bike today but battery is low. lights and dash turn on but battery clicks when starting. i don't understand why it doesn't hold a charge....

Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 PM

id definately check the plugs, if there was a bunch of oil in there it might have built up crud on the plugs giving you a weak spark. A weak spark at higher rpms can get blown out instead of igniting fuel. im no expert on bike motors but thats a pretty simple thing to check. Usually if you smell fuel in the exhaust its an ignition problem, not a fuel problem. what does your bike idle at? if its set too low it could cause the stalling and the cut off when you engage it into gear (load when it clicks into gear and jumps a bit). especially combined with bad plugs. just my $.02

Last edited by adiopunki7; 03-22-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM

as far as the battery, might want to give the terminal screws an extra yank to make sure theyre tight, youd be surprised how easily a slightly loose terminal could cause bad power.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 AM

I recently charged the battery so I know the terminals are secured. As far as the plugs, I'll check them out sometime this week.

Quick Reply: Fuel Issue?