F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4I Starting Problems

Old 10-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4I Starting Problems

Friend wrecked his 02 F4I two years ago. Hasn't been ran since. After laying it over on its side it would crank over but not fire. Two years later and he got it out andI took a look at it. When you hit the starter w/a good battery on it you hear a tiny click from the starter relay. It's not a loud click like you would normally hear if a problem was there. You have to be really silent to hear it. A lot of the bike has been stripped off and a few wires removed, but looking at the diagrams it appears they are nothing more than the check engine light, headlights, and neutral indicator lights. The spark plugs were out so I know it needs the top end opened up, but no clue on the electrical. All fuses that could be found were good, no crimped wires, no loose grounds, etc.

Just looking for somekind of starting point. I tried "jumping" the starter relay by hitting both terminal points and nothing happens there either. Nothing comes up on the tach setup either. It's like it's completely dead which makes me wonder about the ECU. It has a good battery in it as it was pulled from another bike. I'm just kind-of stumped now. Any ideas? He really wants it started b/c he didn't run it for the last two years due to military service and now that he's home he wants a running bike. Thanks for any help in advance. Going to check it out again tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F4I Starting Problems

does the fuel pump prime? engine turn over (push-start)?

Old 10-20-2007, 05:24 PM

Fuel pump DOES NOT prime. Nothing happens when you hit the starter button except a tiny buzzing click at the starter relay. I'm just out of ideas on what to do other than get a new harness or something.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 PM

as far are electrical things, the pump will not prime with out having the tip over sensor working. meaning that the head light should be installed and working(i think the relay sigs/headlight need to be there too). you said that the tach dont start, check it by using another f4i.
sound to me like you have to fix up some electrical connections before you begin to crank.

mainly, i would not just begin cranking the bike after its been sitting for so long. drop few squirts of oil from the plugs side of engine and wait for the oil to loosen up the piston rings. also empty out the tank and clean out the tank hoses and fill up with fresh gas.
after you do all that, i would attempt to start the bike.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 AM

I haven't really wanted to start it. We're just trying to see if it can get power to it. We're going to try and get a whole new wiring harness b/c too much is chewed up or missing, though nothing that seems important. No headlight to test it with and a lot of parts are missing as well like fairings, mirrors, signals, etc. The engine's going to be torn down anyway b/c oil was left in it the whole time and the spark plug holes open. I'm not beginner at working on bikes but electrical is what kills me.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:15 AM

open plug holes?
your gonna have to take the engine apart and see if the piston head and the walls dont have rust.
just from what you written, this sounds like way to much trouble.
I say scrap it and sell it for parts. this should be a stunt or track bike at most.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:04 AM

It's going to be a pain to mess with. I already know there is rust in the top end but not sure how bad. Going to tear down and take a look. Just trying to figure out the electrical deal first.