F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems

So, today I went out to install an alarm on my bike. Everything was going smoothly, I got the turn signals to work when alarmed, got the starter motor to run with the remote start, then I went to do the ignition/engine stop and I ****ed something up.

There's a black and white wire coming off of the grey connector on the ECM. What does this wire do? I have the service manual but I'm missing the wiring diagrams. I cut it and connected one of the alarm's wires to the ECM side and one of the alarm's wires to the other side. I tried working the bike and my fuel pump no longer primes. No biggie, I disconected everything and put it back the way it was (black and white wire into the ECU) but now the bike still won't prime.

Any ideas? Can anyone tell me what that wire is for?

**EDIT** It turns out that wire is my connects to the injectors, the coilpacks, and the fuel cut relay. Could I have fried the fuel cut relay? Where is it located?

Thanks,
-Duo

Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 04-23-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird cause I hooked mine up the same way. Guessing the ones you connected were pink & gray? What direction did you hook them in? Have you checked the fuses?

And make sure you didn't do what I did and forget to reconnect something while trying to make space for my hands (forgot to connect the fuel pump's power connector)

Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 AM

I have an F4i, you have an F3....I think that's why mine didn't work quite like yours =P.

I've since resoldered the wire properly but I haven't had the chance to go out and test it. I found that if I bypass the engine stop relay it works again.

-Duo

Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 AM

My mistake man, I thought by reading your signature that you had an F3.

Anyway, moving on, I have three wires that are still not hooked up, a pink, grey, and a brown. From what I've gathered the pink and grey are for the engine stop, and the brown is for ignition.

I'm not entirely sure what went wrong...but I've since soldered the wire back together. Where did you connect the brown wire (the one that is supposed to turn ignition on so the dashboard, etc. comes on? I've read that the pink (off the ECM, not the alarm) wire is responsible for turning on the ECM but that it's a 9V and applying more can blow something in the ignition.

Also, how did you hook up the pink/grey wires (the alarm pink/grey wires?). I know you tap into the black/white wire coming off of the ECM's grey connector...but do you actually cut the wire and put the alarm in between? Or do you simply splice the pink/grey into that black and white wire?

My reply is a mess...what I'm asking is:
1) The pink/grey wires on the alarm. You cut the black/white wire, then solder the grey wire on the ecm side, then the pink wire on the output side. Is this correct?
2) The brown wire on the alarm...where the hell does it go? I remember you saying in your original post that you hook it up to the black wire....but I don't have any black wire coming off my ECM.

Thanks in advance man
-Gabriel