CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default electrical problems?

I bought a 96 CBR 600F3 last saturday from a private seller and have been having problems with it all week. I test drove it before i bought it and it started and ran great. However, on the ride home, while on the highway the bike just died. I was unable to get it started again and had to throw it on a trailer to get it home. I took the battery into an auto parts store and they said the battery was fine and that it just needed charged. I charged it and it still wouldnt start. The only way i was ever able to start it was to jump it. It would usually run good but it would cut out and die at random times (usually while on the highway). I finally bought a new battery and it started right up and ran great. I took it out for a ride that night and didnt have any problems. But the next day when i went out to start it when i turned the ignition i got no response. No lights, turnover..nothing. I then tried to jump it again but even with the cables attached i got no response. All the lights on the intrument panel were dead and the bike wouldnt even try to turn over. Anyone have any idea what it might be? Thanks!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1st check the 30 amp main fuse at the starter relay. Blown = replace. Next grab the multimeter and start troubleshooting the charging system. Likely tho thee r/r is bad.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, check the condition of the plugs at the regulator/rectifier and where the wires from the stator plugs into the main harness. The connection from the stator to the wiring harness is known for melting and causing all kinds of havoc. That plug is located under the tail end of the tank. You should be able to peek through and at least get a glimpse of it iwth a flashlight from the right side of the bike. If fact, there should be a rubber flap that pulls away to get a glimpse. However, to do any work on it you have to remove the tank -- which is straighforward -- two bolts and three rubber lines.

Keep us informed on whatyou find.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Yea, check the charging system same thing happen to mine. bought a brand new battery and it still died on me. found out the r/r was bad so replaced it and that fixed the problem

Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 PM

Oh yeah, just remembered (because my bike reminded me): Look for a short from the ignition switch to the starter relay.

Name:  IMG00030-20090816-1724.jpg
Views: 3525
Size:  33.7 KB

This rears its ugly head from time to time. No electric to anything, battery holding a 12.5v charge. Catch is with my bike it was easy to find. My bike's alarm splices into the ignition system, disabling the bike if the key is turned while the alarm is on. When this acts up, my alarm can't sense the key position

Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also check the plugs where the stator plugs into the wire harness and check the plug at the r/r. Those three connections (starter relay, r/r plug, and stator plug) usually will show some signs of damage from over heating due to an r/r failing.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a short in one of the connections today and repaired that. Everything ran great today so lets hope this is the only thing i need to do. Thanks for all of the input!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
1st check the 30 amp main fuse at the starter relay. Blown = replace. Next grab the multimeter and start troubleshooting the charging system. Likely tho thee r/r is bad.
If you pop that fuse something is really wrong.Only takes 2 amps to kill you,so do the simple math.If your r/r pops that fuse,it has a BAD short in it.

On these bikes, start with the simple stuff first.The r/r is damn near always the electrical problem.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by kjohnson
If you pop that fuse something is really wrong.Only takes 2 amps to kill you,so do the simple math.If your r/r pops that fuse,it has a BAD short in it.

On these bikes, start with the simple stuff first.The r/r is damn near always the electrical problem.
He said he jumped it with his car.

That'll do it if done wrong

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 PM

hey guys so i m having similar problems on my 98 cbr . i replaced the rectifier when i got the bike because it melted a hole in it and now acouple weeks later the battery is not getting the charge it should. at idle it gets around 12 but when you give it gas its goes lower to 11 , would that be the R/R or the stater and how do i test either?

Quick Reply: electrical problems?