F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dealing with a shady seller - 01 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd pass. The only way I'd even consider it is:
  • He produced a signed and witnessed Bill of Sale from the title owner with contact information and a way to arrange a meet to verify that person's identity. And verify he did sell the bike to the shady guy
  • He came with me to the DMV, not a title shop, and sat thru the barrage of questions concerning the title and paid any fees / fines for the bike being unregistered.
  • The bill of sale between you and him was iron-clad and notarized.

And you're still taking a risk

Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a little sketchy for me, I don't know if i would do it. Luckily I bought mine from a police officer and picked up at the station.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 PM

I have to agree with the walk away answer. The DMV doesnt like not getting their registration fee's..IE skipping from 1st to 3rd owner and now there clued into whats going on in your case. If he's not willing to go to the DMV to straighten this out before cash changes hands and pay penalty's..I'd walk..

Even with that said I've been following your posts and there's alot wrong with this bike for you to be putting up with BS. There's other bikes.

Hope all ends well for you,bud.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM

It is possible that he never had it registered in his name. This happens quite a bit actually. As long as there is the print/signature of the owner of the title, only - nothing else filled in, then there wont be a problem. But if there are any signs of erase marks or fraud then the DMV will NOT accept the transfer. I'd just make sure that it isn't dated and if it is then check in to your DMV and ask about an expiration that would void the title. Here in Illinois there isn't an expiration but I know in Michigan that you have to turn in the title within 10 days of being dated.

Last edited by teko1020; 05-08-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by teko1020
It is possible that he never had it registered in his name. This happens quite a bit actually. As long as there is the print/signature of the owner of the title, only - nothing else filled in, then there wont be a problem. But if there are any signs of erase marks or fraud then the DMV will NOT accept the transfer. I'd just make sure that it isn't dated and if it is then check in to your DMV and ask about an expiration that would void the title. Here in Illinois there isn't an expiration but I know in Michigan that you have to turn in the title within 10 days of being dated.
The DMV said that the last registered owner was in 2007...In my state, I believe if you do not transfer the title within 15 days or something you just pay a small penalty..? Not 100% sure. At this point, Im more curious than anything and think I will meet with him to merely go over all his paperwork and title to put the puzzle together. THEN I will decide whether to buy or not.

This is what I truly believe at THIS POINT. The carfax came up with 2 records. To me that means the original owner and the 2nd owner. This guy claims that the original owner was some dentist in a neighboring town who sold the bike to his friend at 5k. So his friend registered it and there's the second record to the carfax. His friend rode it from 5k to 7k and for some reason had to skip town or owed this shady guy money so he signed and notarized the back of the title. The shady guy has never inputted his name and registered the bike nor put the title in his name. I think he rode the bike and felt that the style of the bike was not for him and now he's selling. The title is still a 2007 title because its essentially the 2nd owners (shady guys friend) title. So this shady guy has been hanging on to a signed and notarized open title and now he wants to sell it. Question marks are that I am not sure when the bike, or by who, or even why it was serviced? The bike has obviously been sitting for a while and it is pretty dirty.

Thats my made up story...and I'm basing it off of all the sherlock holmes shizzle I have been doing. At this point I am not DEAD set on this bike and initially I only wanted it bc it was so cheap! I figured the platform was there and axsys seemed okay with the engine, frame and mechanics (aside from the rim and tires). But like I said, this guy says he has all his records as well as his friends records of the bike so I am more curious than anything now just to meet with him and go over the records and title and put it all together. If the title is a 2007 title matching the last four digits that the DMV gave me and it is signed and notarized with a blank in the buyer field, then his friend signed over the bike to him bc he owed him money or something and this shady guy has never titled it in his name.....which means.......I "could" just buy it off him legally....pending the service records and everything came out good

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-08-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by wrath
I have to agree with the walk away answer. The DMV doesnt like not getting their registration fee's..IE skipping from 1st to 3rd owner and now there clued into whats going on in your case. If he's not willing to go to the DMV to straighten this out before cash changes hands and pay penalty's..I'd walk..

Even with that said I've been following your posts and there's alot wrong with this bike for you to be putting up with BS. There's other bikes.

Hope all ends well for you,bud.

Thanks brosif..karma is on our side

6lb 4ounce sweet baby jesus

Old 05-08-2010, 03:30 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
The DMV said that the last registered owner was in 2007...In my state, I believe if you do not transfer the title within 15 days or something you just pay a small penalty..? Not 100% sure. At this point, Im more curious than anything and think I will meet with him to merely go over all his paperwork and title to put the puzzle together. THEN I will decide whether to buy or not.

This is what I truly believe at THIS POINT. The carfax came up with 2 records. To me that means the original owner and the 2nd owner. This guy claims that the original owner was some dentist in a neighboring town who sold the bike to his friend at 5k. So his friend registered it and there's the second record to the carfax. His friend rode it from 5k to 7k and for some reason had to skip town or owed this shady guy money so he signed and notarized the back of the title. The shady guy has never inputted his name and registered the bike nor put the title in his name. I think he rode the bike and felt that the style of the bike was not for him and now he's selling. The title is still a 2007 title because its essentially the 2nd owners (shady guys friend) title. So this shady guy has been hanging on to a signed and notarized open title and now he wants to sell it. Question marks are that I am not sure when the bike, or by who, or even why it was serviced? The bike has obviously been sitting for a while and it is pretty dirty.

Thats my made up story...and I'm basing it off of all the sherlock holmes shizzle I have been doing. At this point I am not DEAD set on this bike and initially I only wanted it bc it was so cheap! I figured the platform was there and axsys seemed okay with the engine, frame and mechanics (aside from the rim and tires). But like I said, this guy says he has all his records as well as his friends records of the bike so I am more curious than anything now just to meet with him and go over the records and title and put it all together. If the title is a 2007 title matching the last four digits that the DMV gave me and it is signed and notarized with a blank in the buyer field, then his friend signed over the bike to him bc he owed him money or something and this shady guy has never titled it in his name.....which means.......I "could" just buy it off him legally....pending the service records and everything came out good
The penalty is what i was talking about and its not "small" here its like over $100 bucks i beleive...

Old 05-08-2010, 03:31 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by teko1020
ur in illinois????? weird

Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by zmds18
ur in illinois????? weird
No its not like Illinois...I was born and raised in Chicago

Update: So Ive finally figured out the whole story...

I took another motorcycle buddy with me today to check out the mechanics and go through the paperwork. I also test rode it for the first time. My buddy said there is nothing mechaically wrong with the bike but he did mention the CCT and it has the obvious notorious loud CCT (nothing new). Outside of that he said she looks sound. We did see a large dent in the radiator from possibly a large rock that the front wheel pulled up but it didnt seem to be an issue (i.e no leak or overheating)

Heres the deal. The bike is a 2 owner. It was first bought and registered in North Dakota. The sellers friend (2nd owner) bought and titled it in Arizona in 2007 with 6800 miles on the odo. He has put 800 miles on the bike since 2007. The seller (shady dude) was/is the 2nd owners friend and he was selling it for the 2nd owner bc the 2nd owner lives up north. Obviously this 2nd owner owes this shady guy money or something. This shady guy (seller) actually drove up and got the title signed from his friend (the actual 2nd owner) a feww days ago, and got it notorized. The title is legit except for ONE thing...Before purchasing, I took the title to a DMV registration place and told them the story and asked if I would have ANY issues with the title...After looking through everything, she found that the notary's status was "pending" instead of "qualified"...she stated this could be for ANY reason and even merely bc she is renewing her bonds/registration or whatever.....well...long story short...I held off...I told the seller this and he totally understood and said he wouldn't take a title either if that was the case. He was actually upset that the notary he went to THIS happens seeing as we could have went to virtually anyone....Anyway, so I still want the bike and we need to sort this out so she should be mine soon!

To recap. Its an 01 F4i red/black 2 owner (original from N. Dakota (rode 6800 miles) and 2nd owner from Arizona (who put 800 miles on the bike in 3 years-since 2007) with 7600 miles! Soon to be mine.

So I test rode my FIRST F4i today and If things go right, it will be mine! Im going to start another post regarding this. Thanks to everyone here!

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-09-2010 at 12:57 AM.