F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dealing with a shady seller - 01 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealing with a shady seller - 01 F4i

If you have read my other post then you may be familiar with my seller situation. Plainly put the guy is somewhat shady.

Is it possible to "run" or find ownership and/or a serivce history on a used bike? This is if the owner does not have the recepits/records of course. I have already spoke with my MVD and given them the VIN and they stated that the bike registers to a 2001 Honda and is NOT labeled as stolen or the such. She gave me the last 4 digits to the current title they have on file. The VIN checks out. But I asked if the owners name (the name he gave me) is the current owner and she said no! So either he is lying about his real name or the title is not in his name. Now is it possible that when I see the title (and I WILL check that the title's last 4 digits are what the MVD told me) that it was given to him as an "open title" and he never bothered to register the bike and is now wanting to hand it over to me? I mean I guess there is nothing wrong with that as long as theres a signature and its notarized and the buyer line is empty? I will obviously check the front side for liens or salvaged etc..but if the back of the title is signed and notarized with an empty buyer spot, then I guess its ok bc it is now an open title and I can go title it in my name right?

The front of the title will not state the previous owner and at what mileage HE got the bike at correct? How do I get a ownership history or ANY type of report/history on the bike!?

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-07-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:11 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
If you have read my other post then you may be familiar with my seller situation. Plainly put the guy is somewhat shady.

Is it possible to "run" or find ownership and/or a serivce history on a used bike? This is if the owner does not have the recepits/records of course. I have already spoke with my MVD and given them the VIN and they stated that the bike registers to a 2001 Honda and is NOT labeled as stolen or the such. She gave me the last 4 digits to the current title they have on file. The VIN checks out. But I asked if the owners name (the name he gave me) is the current owner and she said no! So either he is lying about his real name or the title is not in his name. Now is it possible that when I see the title (and I WILL check that the title's last 4 digits are what the MVD told me) that it was given to him as an "open title" and he never bothered to register the bike and is now wanting to hand it over to me? I mean I guess there is nothing wrong with that as long as theres a signature and its notarized and the buyer line is empty? I will obviously check the front side for liens or salvaged etc..but if the back of the title is signed and notarized with an empty buyer spot, then I guess its ok bc it is now an open title and I can go title it in my name right?

The front of the title will not state the previous owner and at what mileage HE got the bike at correct? How do I get a ownership history or ANY type of report/history on the bike!?
if u run a car fax you can get more information....

IF THE TITLE IS DATED and the "sellers name" is wrong ide ask him about it... also if its dated from when he purchased it but never wrote his name on it and also never registered it... u may be charged a bunch of extra fees when u go to register it (they do in Illinois... ide just use the it wasn't running when i bought it excuse if i were u)... just fyi...

Old 05-07-2010, 04:21 PM

I just saw an 02 with 4,500 miles on it for $3800. I thought of you and snapped some pictures with my phone. It's in Orem, UT. Let me know if you want to see the pictures or get the seller's phone number.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
if u run a car fax you can get more information....

IF THE TITLE IS DATED and the "sellers name" is wrong ide ask him about it... also if its dated from when he purchased it but never wrote his name on it and also never registered it... u may be charged a bunch of extra fees when u go to register it (they do in Illinois... ide just use the it wasn't running when i bought it excuse if i were u)... just fyi...
iM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE $10-20 fees for not registering it...Im worried about it being legit...so if the titles last four digits match what the DMV told me as well as the sellers name blank is signed (by WHOEVER) and notarized with an empty buyer line I should be ok right? Whether the seller is the owner or not!

Carfax showed:
2 records found in the CARFAX Vehicle History database

guy claims he is the 3rd owner...so given 1 record is the initial owner and the 2nd record is the 2nd owner, that means maybe he has the open title to the bike from the 2nd owner (he claims he bought it off his friend) or that possibly it isnt even his bike...or his friend gave it to him bc he owed him money or something....then this guy never titled it in his name or registered it???....either way it would be legit and legal for me to buy correct?

but the dmv said the last title they have was registered in 2007 and this shady suppossed owner claims hes only had the bike for 6 months???

Also, is there anyway to tamper with or "roll back" the odo on these bikes?

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-07-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by kowen1208
I just saw an 02 with 4,500 miles on it for $3800. I thought of you and snapped some pictures with my phone. It's in Orem, UT. Let me know if you want to see the pictures or get the seller's phone number.
Sure pm me!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 PM
July 2010 ROTM

no, you cant mess with the odo, u can put new gauges on it tho. if its worrying u u need to go with him and the title to the dmv and get it straightened out before the bike is yours

Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM

I found out a way to freeze my odometer...but not roll it back...I accidently went 1000 miles un-recorded. When i changed the color of my gauges, one of the leads broke off, so every time i got up to XX299 miles, it just reset back to XX200...lol It took me forever to fingure out the problem..I doubt anyone could really intentionally mess with it though.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:28 PM

Which lead? My odo has been recording false miles from being geared low for who knows how long. It'd be nice to keep that number down for a while.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dude.. if everything feels wrong about this purchase.. let it go.... don't jump on a less than perfect bike for all of the wrong reasons...

Adam

Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree +plenty
If it feels wrong it generally is..............
Sad, but true.

Quick Reply: Dealing with a shady seller - 01 F4i