Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dealing with SPAM!!!! Everyone please read

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealing with SPAM!!!! Everyone please read

We cannot stop all SPAM from coming in, to do so would hurt members, or at least the new ones.

We have a ton of new members join because they are working on their bike at 2 AM and run into a problem. They go back to the trusty ole PC and start searching for a fix, and then they find this forum or one like it. They sign up and start asking for help. Now how is that new member going to feel when he/she goes all the way through the registration then finds out he has to wait for Chain or I to come back home and decide if he's allowed to post? Like he just got scammed.

I noticed one of you stated that you clicked on a link in an obvious SPAM post and your antivirus popped up. There is no such thing as easy money or click here to win $$$. The more people they have clicking on the link, the more ads they can sell and the more SPAM they can send out. I'll never understand something’s. Does anyone like telemarketing calls? Has anyone found anyone that like telemarketing calls? You know what, they wouldn't be around if they didn't have million of idiots answering the calls and then deciding that maybe since Sally called me and knew my name... maybe I really to need that time share in the Pocono’s. They had to print "DO NOT EAT" on the little packs of desiccant in shipping boxes because some idiot ate it, got sick and probably sued... and if they were in the US, they more than likely won.

To help us out, don't click on the links, don't respond in the posts... just forward the link to me or another mod so we can move it. Copy and paste the subject into a PM if you likes, I don't care how... just pass it along and we will deal with it.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Default RE: Dealing with SPAM!!!! Everyone please read

Good deal........although I still like posting Mr. T in the spam topics:

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/F658C9DFB86F47199FE44EC860A8205D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-23-2006, 03:50 AM
Retired Administrator

Post all you likes... but we will delete/move the post quicker if you foward it to us.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:48 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

hey don i didnt mean any disrespect by stating that we should have some type of filter system . i know that you and chain are doing your best. my suggestion was based on what happened on another forum i belong to for my car . it helped out so much and all the members understood. 8 posts is something that could easily go by fast but i do understand your pov by saying that new members might feel "rejected" or "unwelcome" if their post had to be approved 1st. you guys do a wonderful job on the site i just hate to see it get ruined by spammers and cluter posts that have been beaten to death . keep up the good work and im sure no wthat you have requested it alot of the members will stop complainig when spammers post and just forward for faster deletion ..

Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Retired Administrator

No disrespect taken... I was just worried about members opening the links.

I know what you mean about the 8 post thing and members that are here already may agree, but that one guy pulling his hair out at 2 AM might not like it as much. The SPAM never stays up more than a few hours. The weather is starting to turn on us and more of us will be here to watch out for it.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i wouldnt put an approval on the posting. any spam that goes up comes down quick enough to really do any harm. they normally get those one or two GO TO HELL posts right after and then stretch or don gets PMed and voila, spam all gone.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 PM

I dont know much about computers but might this be possible? All new members must make their first post in the New Members section then everything is open to them after that. It wouldnt rid the site of spam but it would limit it to one section of the board.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:55 AM

no problems yet for me as I am a pretty new member here. As for telemarketers...funny cause I just got one, and what I started doing is as soon as they start babbling about a product or service, I interupt, " I get paid for my time, I work from home, and right now you are taking up my time which I should get paid for, so what is your name, who do you work for and where do I send the invoice to for proper billing. Right around there it stops.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like fried spam

Old 10-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^ me too ^_^ good with some rice