F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dealing with toll booths.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealing with toll booths.

I was just wondering what you guys do when it comes to paying tolls? Im asking because I am getting tired of pulling up to a toll booth and trying to dig through my pockets, with gloves on, looking for quarters. I live in Fl and down here we have the sun pass. Im sure all states have some version of the sun pass. I thought about getting one but I dont want to mount it under the wind screen because the last thing I need is it falling off while riding, and it falling down into the forks. Does anyone have a toll pass and keep it in their pocket? Will it register without taking it out of your pocket? I would rather know if this works before trying it and end up with a bunch of fines because the pass didnt work from my pocket. Just looking for some ideas?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Default RE: Dealing with toll booths.

I think I read a post last summer about a guy who just put it in his jacket pocket and it read it just fine. As a matter of fact I think a couple guys responded with the same results. Maybe do a search on topic and it will pop up. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:10 AM

I have to go thru a toll everyday to work and back. A officer buddy told me that if I just go thru the pike pass (which im guessing is your sun pass??) lane, get over as far as you can, that it doesn't register. Been doing it for almost a year with no ticket or anything. Im in Oklahoma tho so I don't know if yours are set up different. Ours take a picture if you run it in a car. Course I have a pass for my car so if I do ever get pulled over or busted I'll just say I forgot my pass in my car. An even when I drove thru it with my pass it didn't register.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Kevin48

I was just wondering what you guys do when it comes to paying tolls? Im asking because I am getting tired of pulling up to a toll booth and trying to dig through my pockets, with gloves on, looking for quarters. I live in Fl and down here we have the sun pass. Im sure all states have some version of the sun pass. I thought about getting one but I dont want to mount it under the wind screen because the last thing I need is it falling off while riding, and it falling down into the forks. Does anyone have a toll pass and keep it in their pocket? Will it register without taking it out of your pocket? I would rather know if this works before trying it and end up with a bunch of fines because the pass didnt work from my pocket. Just looking for some ideas?
I just mount my sunpass under my rear seat. I registers probably 90% of the time. My bike is registered under sunpass so no need to worry about running tolls.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 AM

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3008/511/

I use this in Illinois. Not sure how the casing is designed for the sunpass. Google or ebay "ipass (sunpass) mount" or "motorcycle sunpass mount". Thats how I found mine. Yeah my buddy said it looks ugly mounted on my bike, but I think its the most carefree (and safe) way possible. I love it.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: traitorhound

I just mount my sunpass under my rear seat. I registers probably 90% of the time. My bike is registered under sunpass so no need to worry about running tolls.
I used to ride around with the ez-pass (same idea as your sun pass) in my jacket, and would take it out and roll slowly through tolls. Now I have one of those windshield suction cup things that holds the ez-pass. So far I've only tried that once, i kept rolling at about 15 mph but the sign said "toll unpaid". It probably took a picture of my bike but I'm registered with ez-pass so whatever, it's still covered. The way I see it it's a win win, if it doesn't register I don't have to pay if it doesn't see me, but if it does, i just get charged the normal rate.

I'll get some pics of my setup soon.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Xx New Guy xX

ORIGINAL: traitorhound

I used to ride around with the ez-pass (same idea as your sun pass) in my jacket, and would take it out and roll slowly through tolls. Now I have one of those windshield suction cup things that holds the ez-pass. So far I've only tried that once, i kept rolling at about 15 mph but the sign said "toll unpaid". It probably took a picture of my bike but I'm registered with ez-pass so whatever, it's still covered. The way I see it it's a win win, if it doesn't register I don't have to pay if it doesn't see me, but if it does, i just get charged the normal rate.

I'll get some pics of my setup soon.
I have an EZ pass also and their transponders don't seem to work as well like the ones we got here in FL. (I bring the EZ pass when I up north to visit family. Nice having the same toll system from like VA north) I remember with the ez pass it would not register at all until i took it out of my jacket and waved it around and sometimes it still didnt' work and i would just run the toll. EZ pass works a lot better in cars from what ive seen

Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 AM

just velcro it to the top of your helmet

Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 AM

I'm going to try putting mine in the front fairing area over the front tire. It's hard to describe but if you stand in front of the tire reach up under the fairing from the back there's a little dead space there. I took my windscreen off to see if I could fit it behind the gauge cluster, but there wasn't enough room. I'm definately looking for a semi-permanent install that works well but can't be seen.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered Users

i live in illinois and we have iPass....i keep mine is my trunk when i ride, i have yet to have any problems with having it there...plus USUALLY...if you register the plate to the transponder, even if it doesn't go off, they will check your plates against their database to make sure before sending out a ticket....

Quick Reply: Dealing with toll booths.