F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Couple of newbie questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of newbie questions?

2003 F4i..pretty sloppy previous owner.

Twice now the bike has presented me with 'no start-no juice' after long hard rides. A quick second gear bumpstart and it's back to full start mode. I have checked the battery connections and condition.. Is there some frame ground connection that comes loose? A common wire that causes this? Following the no start episode, all my LED displays re-set. total loss of juice, yes?

32 miles per gallon? Is that normal? It seems to be running fine, maybe a bit hot sometimes. 120 miles and then onto the reserve-display on the dash...doesn't seem much.

Nasty second gear slips on hard acceleration. I've got some gearbox internals coming. Should I go to an aftermarket shifting "star"? Is that worthwhile?

Thanks, I can't seem to get much refinement from the search function to answer these basic guestions...
Don Hanson

Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM

A bit more: When the NO START happens, I turn on the key and things light up, but when I push the button, everything blanks out, dash lights go off, no click...just silence and darkness. Turn key off and back on and ....lights again on the instruments, until l push the button.

Yesterday after I bump started it, I went about 50 yards, then flicked it into neutral and turned off the ignition while rolling along. Used the starter again and she fired right back up with 'normal cranking'...Where is the most likely loose connection, or do I have a starter problem or a relay problem, perhaps?
Don Hanson

Last edited by gotcbr; 10-07-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: removed broken quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gnarly 928
2003 F4i..pretty sloppy previous owner.
32 miles per gallon? Is that normal? It seems to be running fine, maybe a bit hot sometimes. 120 miles and then onto the reserve-display on the dash...doesn't seem much.

Don Hanson
Hey I can only talk on the distance your getting on your tank. Seems bout normal, I have an 06 F4i and i get about 140 mi to the tank. 20 mi reserve tank maybe, or maybe how your running her? I have to literally count my miles cause my fuel gauge is stuck on showing reserve....

Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by NewSense45
Hey I can only talk on the distance your getting on your tank. Seems bout normal, I have an 06 F4i and i get about 140 mi to the tank. 20 mi reserve tank maybe, or maybe how your running her? I have to literally count my miles cause my fuel gauge is stuck on showing reserve....

MMMM-k....guess I'll get used to the short range. I've had other bikes like this that filling up first was a normal part of every ride. Not very convenient here in the wide open spaces of the West...there are some rides around my area that have few stations and some of the stations are 'iffy' with 'Open" hours. I'll pay attention,
Thanks for the reply.
Don Hanson

FWIW...When I have that no start issue, my odometers go to Zero again...meaning I have lost my reference for how much fuel I have..meaning I had to go right to the nearest station yesterday before I started for home (with a 60-odd mile section of no gas) I was thinking..."Dang, It's gonna be tough to push start right here in this very busy gas station just off the freeway near Portland Int. Raceway...." but it started right up on the button.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM

The mileage seems Ok, i usually get 147 before my reserve comes on and fill up right around 160. But that's also because i don't always scream down the road lol.
My guess it has to be a wire coming loose. But my problem with not starting a year ago was an FPR 'fuel pressure regulator'. Then a couple months ago it became the tip sensor.
So that it weird that its going on/off....

Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 PM

Sounds like a possible failing battery, replace that and see if problems persist. Also 32MPG is actually kinda low, I run PC3 and Danmoto /Jardine Hight mount with K&N air filter and I get at the lowest 35 MPG. That's riding hard, highway can get up to the 170's per tank. Usually Around 150 before I fill up or my reserve hits. Check out some posts in the forums about bad Gas mileage. You'll find your answer in there.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by chute
Sounds like a possible failing battery, replace that and see if problems persist. Also 32MPG is actually kinda low, I run PC3 and Danmoto /Jardine Hight mount with K&N air filter and I get at the lowest 35 MPG. That's riding hard, highway can get up to the 170's per tank. Usually Around 150 before I fill up or my reserve hits. Check out some posts in the forums about bad Gas mileage. You'll find your answer in there.
You might be right on the battery failing or about to fail. This AM I took it out and was messing with all the connections etc to see if I could find something loose, cleaning terminals, etc. Just for grins I put my digital volt meter on it and it read 12.36v at about 65f...This was after a cool night and a single start up in the morning before this test.

I put the batt on a charger for an hour at 2amps and the battery read at 13.8v when the charger cycled off. Could easily be the battery, I guess. I rode just now another tank of fuel and I will again test the battery after it sits a few hours... When running, I get 14.xx volts at the terminals, so I think the charging is working fine from the bike.
Don Hanson

Old 08-31-2013, 09:05 PM

Sounds like a bad battery connection or cable. Had that problem ith my truck.