CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

newbie Hurricane owner - couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie Hurricane owner - couple ?'s

After reading through this forum for the last week or so, I finally decided to make a post. First, let me say how impressed I am by the camaraderie displayed between you all. You have a nice little community here.

Last year, a close friend of mine purchased an ’04 Honda VTX1300 and has been hounding me ever since to buy a bike so that we can ride together. I had owned a ’73 Yamaha 500 in the early 90’s and decided to look for something a little bigger – more suitable for (sport)touring.

Being on a budget, I scoured the classifieds for a month or so before finding an ’82 Honda CB900F with 20K miles on the clock, in excellent condition. $1,400 later, I was back in the saddle again. Another one of my friends was so impressed with the condition/performance of the 900 that he asked me to keep an eye out for something similar for him. In searching for his bike, I ran across an ad for a ’90 CBR1000F in “showroom condition” - $2,800 firm. The add peaked my curiosity – I found myself dialing the phone and, after discovering the bike was a ½ hour ride away from my home, setting up an appointment to view the bike.

Long story short: The very next day, I was signing the title of my 900 over to my buddy and later signing the title, taking ownership, of the Hurricane.

This is one awesome piece of machinery. For starters, it has only endured 11K miles in its 15 years of existence. I have gone over the bike with a fine-toothed comb and it truly IS in showroom condition. Never down, never dropped. There is one small knick in the paint from a tie-down strap rubbing while the bike was being trailered by the previous owner (which he pointed out to me). The only other cosmetic defect is on top of the swing-arm – some of the silver paint has chipped off and has formed surface rust. BTW, the bike is of the two-tone silver variety.

Performance is amazing. A whole different league compared to the ’82 CB900F. The only negative thing I have noticed is that the bike makes virtually no torque from off-idle – about 3K RPM. Could this be a result of the aftermarket exhaust? The previous owner installed a Vance&Hines 4 into 1 system (carbs were re-jetted I was told).

Another question I have is regarding the kick stand/s. I’ve noticed that some of you have a center stand on your Hurricanes – mine doesn’t. Was that only present on earlier models or did a previous owner remove the one from my bike?

Again, nice web site. I have a feeling I’ll be visiting often.

Greg

Old 08-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Default RE: newbie Hurricane owner - couple ?'s

Congratulations on a great buy. The centerstand was probably removed to fit the V&H exhaust. My stock CBR 1000 is soft off idle too, but it revs so quickly past 3k that it doesn't matter. Mine also has the rust on the right top of the swingarm, but I think it's from battery acid overflow.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Default RE: battery acid

Now that you mention it, the battery acid theory makes perfect sense. Mine is also rusted on the right side near the front and a little bit along the RH seam (as if battery acid ran down the seam).

Old 08-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: battery acid

I will agree with the acid from the battery theory, since mine has it too on the same spot.
Now I added a vaccum rubber hose line to the battery tray, for the overflow to drip down on the pavement away from the tire contact patch.
Congrats on your purchase and enjoy it in health.