F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Couple of chain Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of chain Questions

I cleaned my chain then lubed with Royal Purple Max Chain. I put it on heavy and its been around 300miles and I looked at the chain and it looks dry, even that black rubber chain guide looks dry. The ring things in the middle of the chain seem to spin freely. Is this bad or is it ok? It does say on the can that is dries and leaves a wax like film. My other question is How often and How do you adjust the chain? Then my last question, On the back of the swing arm theres a bolt on both sides that goes into the arm. On the right side of the bike that screw is lose and on the other side its tight. What is the reason for those? Should I just tighten it up and not worry bout it? Sorry for the dumb questions. Help is very much appreciated! Thanks

Old 09-25-2010, 04:51 PM

Cant help on the lube.

Those bolts are the Adjuster bolts. As you tighten them the slack is pulled from the chain. Neither should technically be very loose unless your chain is getting old and you cant go any more. Can you see the Gauge on each side? Where is your chain, red, yellow or green.

When you get more than 1 3/8" play in the chain it is time to tighten it.

Have a look here: http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/

Old 09-25-2010, 05:53 PM

You're probably using a wax. I use to use KLR Chain Wax and I never noticed it was actually dry, until my friend told me. The wax LOOKS moist, but it's actually really sticky and a bit dry imo. It did keep my chain clean from anything that may fly from the road and stick to it, but it's actually a pita to clean the wax off. When I cleaned my chain, it use to look really clean. Then one day I decided to put a tooth brush to my chain to really give it a clean, turned out the lube left a thick layer of wax, which took hours to clean off. I've been sticking to moist lubes now. I'd rather wipe off the fling, then know I have a dry chain with no fling. Then again, there's nothing I can find on wax harming a chain. I hear it's also aimed more towards dirt bikes too but certain brands make it for street.