F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Couple chain/sprocket questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple chain/sprocket questions

Well first off when should i replace my chain/sprockets? I have 10,300 on the bike bought it used with 9000mi, the chain sticker is gone off the back swingarm.

Now id like to replace it with a DID chain and stock AFAM rear sprocket or steel rear sprocket, what would be better? Now do i need a chain riviter or something like that to make it work or do they come cut to length? Would i need to just count 108 links including the master link or excluding the master link?

And obviously rivet style is better then clip on right?

I plan on staying stock with stock chain and stock 46/16, no need for more acceleration.

And has anyone ever ordered from sprocketcenter.com?

Thanks for the helps guys, i searched but couldnt find answers.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Default RE: Couple chain/sprocket questions

Depending on what kind of riding you do and how hard you are on your bike, for an f4i, I would recommend a 520 conversion kit, even if you stay at stock you will feel the difference as it is lighter and most aftermarket chains well be much stronger than stock of the same gauge. Also steel rear sprockets vs. aluminum is about the same question, stunt hard or drag race all day, go steel. Otherwise aluminum should last a long time under normal riding and the occasional wheelie. I just ordered a kit from sumofallparts.net and they did it for free shipping with a teflon coated rear sprocket and a gold chain...check it out, helluva deal for the combo of parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...spagenameZWDVW

They have good prices on a lot of products, I got a killer deal on a combo of parts from them, they also have vortex triple cnc machined for half price right now for f4i's.....

Old 11-23-2007, 12:00 PM

Anyone else? What about the master link question,am i really gonna need a chain breaker and riviter or the chains are already together?

Sprocketcenter seems like a nice place to buy stuff from, and DID chains.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Depends what kind of chain you purchase, all come with a master link, some are just different, I have changed out many sprocket sets and chains and have never bought a tool, but it will make life easier at install time. Check with your bike shop as a lot of them have some you can rent out. It is all in what you want to spend.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Well im sure a rivet style is better then clip type. I'm looking at spending 200$ max, something that will last me 2 seasons hopefully, that might be like 10-15k miles. I'm not sure if i wanna go 520 conversion, i dont really care about excess acceleration its fast enough for me lol

Old 11-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Rivet is better and aluminum will easilly last that long, no problem. gearedsteelsprockets.com is good too...they only do stunt sizes though. I would like to know more about the chain tool kits as I plan on removing my brand new oem chain and sprockets when I get the bike and want to know if a kit would keep it saveable....

Old 11-23-2007, 03:09 PM

I use white buffalo racing. Good wed site and if you have any ? just call them they are very friendly and not you typicall 17 old that has never had a bike answering the phone.
As far as keeping a chain useable... don't know why it would be. most factory chains are continuous. You should just need the right rivet link for the chain to reuse it after breaking it. Just pay attention where you are breaking it. Look at the new chain if your not sure what you looking for.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:19 PM

Well id rather get a rivet style master link, but is there any way to breal/rivet chains without buying the 130$ special tools?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM

I just recently changed my sprockets and chain and thought about doing it myself as well. I ended up taking it to a shop since I would need a stand plus the expensive tools to feel comfortable. So I took it to a shop and had them worry about it. I found that the shop near me (which I didn't take it to) wanted like 120 for everything so I didn't think it was a terrible price.

Yes, you want the rivet link. No chance for it to come off if it's put on right.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:31 PM

120 for installing sprockets and chains? You had to buy the chains and sprockets too though, id rather buy a stand because i know ill be working on the bike a lot.

Quick Reply: Couple chain/sprocket questions