F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Condensation under headlight cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation under headlight cover

Well I'm riding my '05 F4i in Michigan and we had temps about 50 today and sunny. I noticed when I put my bike back in the garage that there was moisture inside the high beam head light side but there wasnt any on the low beam side. It was during the day so I didnt have the high beam on at all. Didn't know if the headlight unit is supposed to be a closed unit which would not allow any moisture in or if it is normal. My bike is still under warranty until June '07 so wanted to know if I should take it in to get it fixed or just leave it be. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Default RE: Condensation under headlight cover

I would think that was not normal i live in texas and my bike stays out side even when its around freezing and also when its 100+ and i have never seen condensation in the my healights. I would run that bike over to the dealer and have them reaplace that headlight assembly and check to see if the headlight bulbs are mounted flush so no moisture can get in.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM

im pretty sure its a sealed system and you shouldnt have any moisture in there at all take it to the dealer and see if it is covered under warranty

Old 11-23-2006, 12:51 AM

just take out the bulbs and leave it like that overnight if u can, should dry out the moisture in it. this work on my celica headlights when i had moisture in em

Old 11-23-2006, 07:36 PM

Yea that may work trying to dry it out but if the headlight has an air leak after you dry it out its going to fog up again i would run that to the dealer asap and get a new one before its too late.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

The system isn't sealed per se, but if water gets in, it doesn't really want to come out. I think PHXf4i is correct, but maybe you may need to help it along with a hair dryer or something.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:28 AM

Most headlights are definetly NOT a sealed system, air enters and exits as the bulbs inside the headlights heat up and cool down. Just run your high beam and it will heat up the air inside, drive it out and dry it up. It's exactly like you said, your high beams wore not on, so the more humid air inside never escaped. If it was a sealed system, there would be some significant pressure build up when the air heated up inside... trust me. I just blew up a glass today with heating air... long story, but safe to say you just need to run your high beam more. Problems do happen when part of the headlight doesn't get any warm air to evaporate out the moisture, like in car headlights sometimes turn signals don't get any heat and build up moisture inside. But for a bike, you shouldn't have any problem if you run both lights often.

Tip for fixing it quickly, take out the bulb, and put a hair dryer in there for a while, should heat up the air inside, and like someone said, leave it open over night. Once it's equalized, shouldn't be a problem. If it's really a problem, take a bit of dessicant you find in your shoes or at home depot, toss it in a nylon bag and stuff it in the headlight somewhere not hot.