F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clutch SLipping? bike not picking up speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch SLipping? bike not picking up speed?

Hey guys, i am very new to bikes, i just got one this weekend, and i am not for sure what my bike is doing..

ok here is the problem

When i put it in ANY gear, and i dont take off slowly, the bikes doesnt want to accelorate... like about 5k RPMS and if i give it alot of gas in gear, it just REVS up, like it is in neutral or the clutch is in..

i have no idea what is going on, and i am kinda scared..

please help me out

Thanks Chase

Old 09-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch SLipping? bike not picking up speed?

1st check your clutch cable endplay. When you wiggle the clutch handle, it should move just a little bit before it starts to actually pull the clutch cable. If it doesn't, the cable may be adjusted too tight. Try to turn the little **** right near the end of the clutch cable near the clutch handle. There is usually a larger wheel (about .5 inch) that acts as a lock nut, and then there is a smaller one (1/4 inch) which is actually the adjuster. Adjust it until you have way too much endplay and the handle kinda slaps around without doing anything. Then slowly go the other way and remove the endplay until just a little bit is left so that you know you aren't actually "pulling" on the clutch cable when noone is pulling on the handle. Then you should be properly adjusted.

Now, if that doesn't work and it still slips.... unfortunately that means one of two things...

A: Your clutch was already slipping before just because it is worn out (or something along those lines)
-or-
B: Since it wasn't adjusted properly to begin with, and you and/or other people have been riding it or fooling with it making the clutch slip too much by actually not having it engaged fully, you have worn out your clutch plated and they now need to be replaced.

Hopefully readjusting it solves the problem, but keep us posted. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2005, 09:48 PM

yeah, i am going try to do that, it does seem a little tight, but it is the original clutch still i am sure, with 16k on it so it might be worn down...

how much does it normally cost to replace the clutch ?

Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 AM

You can buy a complete kevlar clutch kit from Barnette for like $110.00. Feels like a dream... but the labor is where you have to worry.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:32 PM

well guys it was the clutched, and i got it replaced and its all good now