Slipper Clutch/ slipping the clutch.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipper Clutch/ slipping the clutch.....

I noticed the newer kawi's and i think gsxr's have slipper clutches (maybe even yamaha) And we don't is this correct? And what exactly is the definition of slipping the clutch and/or a slipper clutch. Advantages/disadvantages?

When i am taking off i have been told what i am doing is slipping the clutch although i am not sure if that's the term. Also does slipping a clutch on a bike that doesn't have a slipper cause it to wear out prematurely?

I know it isn't very structured and alot of questions in there but just answer what you can, thanks.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Default RE: Slipper Clutch/ slipping the clutch.....

ok, im gonna try and help as much as i can on this one, someone correct me, or maybe elaborate if you know more than i do.

a slipper clutch is usually something youd want on your track bike. what it does is reduce the effect of deceleration if you dont match your rpms too well on a downshift, and also smooth upshifts as well. it does a lot of the finesse work that you would usually have to do yourself. it doesnt really do anything that you can't make your clutch do (as long as you practice matching rpms and engaging the clutch smoothly)

slipping the clutch on a bike like ours is simply pulling in the clutch lever to where the clutch is barely engaged, and if the engine were to accelerate or decelerate hard, the clutch would not transfer that to the rear wheel immediately. it will continue to slip until the rear wheel and the engine reach equilibrium (like you said when you are taking off from a stop)

so thats about all i know about them, hope it helps somewhat ^_^

Old 05-22-2006, 06:57 PM

basically lets say you're on the track, going into a turn, and you need to downshift. If you downshifted with a slipper clutch, it'll preven your wheels from gripping the ground, it will continue to slip until it can go into gear safely. I've heard in 07 we'll have slipper clutch, and a 750 model. They can count me in for the 750 LE.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 AM

This is my first post...I've been lurking on the R6 forum for about a year. I'm actually wanting a CBR now that Yamaha has basically made a track only bike (no midrange, slipper clutch) I think the CBR is the only 600 this year with a constant mesh clutch. That + all the reviews I've been reading have me looking into Hondas. I don't know if I can pull it off this season, so I'm hoping they don't throw in the slipper for '07. And the '06 is more comfy now isn't it? I remember everyone saying "plank for a seat" a year or two ago. Any truth to this? Sorry to threadjack, yeah a slipper clutch just matches the engine speed and rear wheel speed before engaging, so no rear wheel sliding or lurching but its like an auto transmission-no fun.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM

i've gotta disagree with sisenor, while a slipper clutch is most useful on the track, I don't see it as a bad thing on a streetbike

slipper clutches that come on street bikes aren't anything extreme the worst that can be said from my experience is that you may not notice the slipper clutch with regular street riding. Most racers buy clutch kits even for bikes that come with a slipper stock, because the stockers aren't race spec, just enough for the manufs to be able to advertise it, lol

the only reason Honda hasn't brought a slipper clutch to the 600s is because they are the last to do a full redesign this time, so the other manufs beat them to it, not because its a bad part for street riding all it really does is slip the clutch when downshifting enough to keep the rear wheel from skipping

I wouldn't go out and buy one for my F4i but if I bought a newer bike, I'd probably want one

Old 05-30-2006, 06:36 AM

YESH I RODE Afriends gixxer the other day with the slipper clutch.......sweeeeet