F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clutch Disengagement Issues

Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Disengagement Issues

If you go out to your F4i right now, put it in first, and try to push it around with the clutch pulled in, is it easy or hard to push?

Mine is hard as hell, and I just started noticing it. Goes away once the bike is warmed up and running, but once I turn it off it does it again a few minutes later.

Replaced the clutch cable, clutch springs, and clutch itself, all to no avail.

Any insight?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Default RE: Clutch Disengagement Issues

how cold is it? clutches will usually be alot grabbier( is that even a word?) when the oil is thick because its cold. As long as the bike doesnt try to "pull" when you have it started and in gear with the clutch pulled in your fine

Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 PM

thats what i figured krash, its one of those things where you think about it and then you don't know if it was ever like that before or not.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go out to your F4i right now, put it in first, and try to push it around with the clutch pulled in, is it easy or hard to push? Mine is hard as hell, and I just started noticing it. Goes away once the bike is warmed up and running, but once I turn it off it does it again a few minutes later.
What on earth would posses you to do that? Why not just put it in neutral? I think you have too much time on your hands. But anyways, I put it in gear with the clutch in and pushed it. Although it wasn't extremely difficult, there was definitely more resistance there than in neutral.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Incognito
What on earth would posses you to do that? Why not just put it in neutral? I think you have too much time on your hands. But anyways, I put it in gear with the clutch in and pushed it. Although it wasn't extremely difficult, there was definitely more resistance there than in neutral.
lol it wasn't like i just decided to go try that. i always park my bike in gear and if i just need to roll it a few feet forward in the garage, i just pull the clutch in instead of poppin in into neutral. i haven't ridden in over a month while i was working on it, so now that its back together I didn't know if it was something new or if i just forgot how hard it was to push in gear.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axsys
lol it wasn't like i just decided to go try that. i always park my bike in gear and if i just need to roll it a few feet forward in the garage, i just pull the clutch in instead of poppin in into neutral. i haven't ridden in over a month while i was working on it, so now that its back together I didn't know if it was something new or if i just forgot how hard it was to push in gear.
it's definitely more resistance pushing in gear with clutch in but maybe other factors restricting your free roll .. brakes sticking? tyres flat.. ish ? a big night and tired or have you maxed out the adjustments available on your clutch .,, might just be time for a replacement man! it so worth it , nothing like a new clutch. plates and friction disks.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:02 AM

My FZ6 was just like that. Any bike will be, in fact. It's the way it works. Pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact you're taking all of the slack out of the transmission when you pop it in gear and try to roll it. You'll likely notice that neutral doesn't have this issue - and it's namely to do with the fact that no gears are meshing, which means it's easier to roll for you. There's also oil and such which must be overcome to some extent, and this is harder when it's cold and more viscous.

http://www.dansmc.com/gearbox_transdrive1.jpg

Take a look at that for a little more understanding. Should help you visualize it!

Last edited by Zealot; 02-14-2016 at 10:05 AM.