General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible clutch issues??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible clutch issues??

This is gonna be kinda tricky to explain with a keyboard but here goes. I was out enjoyin a nice saturday but noticed some things about my 01 929. When cruising in any gear and backing off the throttle and letting it deccelerate (completley off throttle, but still in gear) I noticed it shutters (like im going over a rough road). Also I use two-fingers on the clutch and when i pull it in (with my index and middle finger) against my other two fingers it doesnt fully disengage the clutch,BUT when i adjust it so it does fully dissengage, it seems to slip under heavy load, like the clucth isn't fully engaged. The clutch was replaced before i got the bike, BUT i don't think it was a full replacement. I'm not too savvy when it comes to bike mechanics, so i will compare it to a car. I belive just the clutch plates were replaced. Is there more that should have been replaced, clutch basket? throw out bearing?
Also the bike doesn't seem like it has the power/torque that it should, but runs very smooth.Could this have something to do with that flapper, exhast valve mod i keep seeing on here? I'm gonna do some reading on that next!
Someone please learn me something! LOL!

Last edited by DunnRR; 05-19-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Nobodys got any advice or help for me?? I really dont wanna spend money on a new clutch if i dont have to!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM

How many miles are on the bike?

As for replacements, the throwout bearing doesn't need to be replaced with a clutch change. Normally, just the clutch plates and friction plates need to be changed. And quite often, only the friction plates need to be changed. Many times, the clutch plates are required to have a minimum thickness to be reused, and usually are fine. However, if they were warped at all, and they reused them, it could lead to a shuttering clutch. Also, sometimes, the clutch springs will need to be replaced. I would at least pull the cover and make sure you don't have any broken springs or warped clutch discs.

A clutch will slip more often if you are lugging the motor down a bit. Higher gear and lower speed, nail the gas, it will slip more often in that scenerio. If its slipping, you will know it there.

If its determined that it is slipping, buy a clutch kit and replace the clutch discs, friction plates and springs. That way, you know you have everything new. Unless you have way's of measuring flatness, thickness and springs rates, replace it all.

The other thing, and Im just throwing it out there, is: how is the clutch freeplay? Meaning, do you have freeplay in the clutch lever before it engages?