F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Clutch Adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Adjust?

Alright so i have been trying to mess around with the threaded bolt on my clutch lever to adjust how far off the bar it catches, but its not working. that just seems to adjust how much play is on the lever.

So how do i adjust where the clutch starts to catch. Right now it is too far out. I like to be able to keep a finger between the lever and the grip, but right now its almost 2 fingers worth of space.

i know there is an adjustment on the engine by the clutch cover on a little black arm, but i don't want to screw anything up. How does it work??

Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Default RE: Clutch Adjust?

There isn't one. You need a lever/mount that has an adjustable pivot in it to get that feature. Much more common on hydraulic clutches.

I keep looking for a dogleg lever (cheap, not some $150 piece of bling) to effectively accomplish the same thing, but haven't found one. If someone has a source, please post up.

KeS

Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 AM
WOT

First, what problem are you trying to solve for? The bar adjustment works fine unless your cables are stretched out.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: WOT

First, what problem are you trying to solve for? The bar adjustment works fine unless your cables are stretched out.
What I'm referring to, and I believe the OP is as well, is adjusting the lever location independent of the free play. The free play is determined by the screw at the lever end and/or the clutch end of the clutch cable. However, that free play is supposed to be only X amount. In order to move the engagement/disengagement point further or nearer the grip, you'd need a second adjustment on the lever itself (or a different lever). As it is stock the only way to move the engagement point in is to extend the free play, which works to a degree but leaves you with a sloppy-feeling lever and isn't really how you're supposed to do it. High-end levers like Pazzos have a lever adjustment built in, and many bikes with hydraulic clutches have them (since you can't actually adjust free play on a hydraulic lever).

Me, I'd settle for a $10 dogleg clutch lever if I could find one for the F4i.

KeS

Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Kevin is right, I want to adjust how far from the grip the clutch engages. Right now it engages too far out. that sucks about having to buy new levers. I don't have the coin for that right now, so i guess i will be joining you in the hunt for a dogbone mount.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM

Oh, and to answer OP's other question - the clutch adjuster on the other end of the cable works the same as the one near the lever; it's just a more coarse and less accessible adjuster. You set it so that you have a useful adjustment range at the lever.

KeS