F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Chain rubbing on front sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain rubbing on front sprocket?

Hi all,

I installed a new RK 525 chain and new JT front and rear sprockets. Got everything aligned in the rear properly, but the chain is still rubbing on the front sprocket. From what I can see the front sprocket is making contact with the left(when viewed from the rear) inside of the links. This results in noise, and a moderate amount of friction on the chain. The rear tire will only rotate 1-2 times when in neutral before it stops.

Bike is an 01 Honda CBR600 F4i.

Any tips on how to get it to stop rubbing?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM

bike ever been down? is it possible that the engine has been tweaked to the side?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Bike was dropped by the PO at low speeds a couple times. So damage is possible, however everything looks to be perfect when compared to other f4i.

This didn't happen on the old chain/sprockets, which makes me think it's something about the way I put everything back together. Previous setup was also 520 chain/sprockets, new setup is back to 525.

The sprocket still seems perfectly in line with the chain, just pushed off to one side. It's not like it's tweaked at an angle.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did all of the rear axle spacers go back in the same/correct locations?

Old 08-11-2012, 05:28 AM

Another good rule of thumb is to grab a tape measure and measure from the swing arm pivot bolt to the rear axle nut on each side to make sure everything is aligned perfectly. The marks on the side of the swing arm as research will show you, is to pretty much just get in you in the neighborhood so to speak as far as adjustment goes. Despite the marks on the swing arm, they have been widely known to be off a little through mass production. Your also sure that you have the nut on the front sprocket torqued down to the correct ft lb. specs also?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by wagzhp
Did all of the rear axle spacers go back in the same/correct locations?
Just one on each side, and they went back in the same side they came out of.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by HotWheels
Another good rule of thumb is to grab a tape measure and measure from the swing arm pivot bolt to the rear axle nut on each side to make sure everything is aligned perfectly. The marks on the side of the swing arm as research will show you, is to pretty much just get in you in the neighborhood so to speak as far as adjustment goes. Despite the marks on the swing arm, they have been widely known to be off a little through mass production. Your also sure that you have the nut on the front sprocket torqued down to the correct ft lb. specs also?
I'll measure em tomorrow. Nut is properly torqued.

Here's a video of another bike (Gixxer) with the same issue. Unfortunately no info on what the issue was or how he fixed it.