F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2004 F4i won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F4i won't start

Hello,
I am totally new to this site and I apologize if this as been posted before by someone else and already answered. So please bare with me as I ask this question. I'm also and total beginner at mechanics and electrical problems.

I am having a lot of difficulty trouble shooting a problem I am having with my 2004 model CBR600F4i. Last November in 2013 I rode my bike to work like any other day and when I left I rode it to Wal-mart to pick something up before making my way home. Well, when I left work my bike started up just fine like any other day, however, when I left Wal-mart and tried starting my bike I couldn't get it to start. I made it to my bike, placed my helmet on my head and put my gloves back on, then I placed the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position followed by flipping the kill switch to the "ON" position. It wasn't until I tried to start the bike by pressing the started button and it didn't start that relised that my bike never primed. Now after that I looked at my instrument panel and noticed that panel indicated that my lights were on high, although none of my lights were in fact working. No matter how I tried to start my bike by changing the pattern in which I attempted to start it would it work.
Now when I came back with a trailer to pick my bike up I tried placing the key in it, turning it to the "ON" position, flipping the kill switch to the "ON" position and pressing the start button. Now the bike will roll over and run but when I remove my thumb from the start button the bike stops running. It will only run while the start button is held in place. Also, I believe at times the bike will prime. (It's been about 6 weeks since I've worked on my bike because I started a new job and have been busy with that.)

Now I am far from being the most skilled mechanic. Actually, I am still quite a beginner so I know basically nothing -- especially about electrical problems. So far the only thing I've done is tried checking all the fuses, which none of them were blown, and I've also replaced the computer on my bike as well. I have yet to take my bike to a garage/mechanic to have it looked at, but I was hoping that since I haven't been able to figure out what that problem is someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction.

One more thing. The only place near by where I live will only work on bikes up to 2007, or so I've been told by someone else. I plan to give this place a call in the next few days to see if this is true or not.

Here's a shorted list of my problems :
1) I'm a total beginner at mechanics
2) My bike will not start
3) The only thing that comes up on my instrument panel is the oil, FI, and high beam lights. Note that my lights will not come on.
4) My bike starts like normal, minus any lights functioning, but when I take my thumb off the start button the bike shuts off and will not keep running.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sidestand switch? Neutral sensor?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:22 PM

i would start with the simplest things first. check your kill switch and start button. take it apart and look.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd check out the start relay.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Also (I can't believe nobody's said this yet) don't use the kill switch to kill to kill the motor; that's not its purpose. The kill switch is only there to kill the motor if the ignition switch does not work. I don't believe it is rated for daily use.

Just switch the bike off with the key.

You almost certainly have a problem with either the kill switch wiring, a burnt relay, or (God Forbid) the ignition switch.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
Also (I can't believe nobody's said this yet) don't use the kill switch to kill to kill the motor; that's not its purpose. The kill switch is only there to kill the motor if the ignition switch does not work. I don't believe it is rated for daily use.

Just switch the bike off with the key.

You almost certainly have a problem with either the kill switch wiring, a burnt relay, or (God Forbid) the ignition switch.
Im glad i read this,ive been using the kill switch to turn motor off....you learn something new everyday!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM

this is the first time I've ever heard I specifically should not use the kill switch for ending my ride. Instruction manuals and instructors at the msf course insisted on this. Only endorsement for not using it ive heard is that the concern of the instructors (or manuals) was overblown, so don't listen to them. Unless you mean for this specific bike of course

Last edited by Chad Brenno; 02-11-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: thought of something to add later
Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 313 Likes on 257 Posts

IMHO, I try not to use the kill switch for the sole reason that when I do, I sometimes forget to turn off the key. When I come back to my bike, I get to bring out the battery charger. :-)

Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
IMHO, I try not to use the kill switch for the sole reason that when I do, I sometimes forget to turn off the key. When I come back to my bike, I get to bring out the battery charger. :-)

That too!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered Users

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is and it took me much digging to find it, so don't worry about being a n00b. The headlight and the priming share a wire from the display out through the wiring harness on my 01 F4i. For my bike, it's a big grey multidirectional connection on the left side under a small plastic piece which I never leave on anymore. Again, our year models are different but for what it's worth, the wires leading into and out from the grey connection are dark green. Check your wiring diagram to be sure but you should see what I mean. Mine was rusted out. I just cut the wires and soldered on some connectors. Fired right up. Good luck!

Not to derail the thread too far but if SHTF, the kill switch is close to the operator's hand and can be used immediately. You don't want to engrain reaching over to the key to kill the bike because your body in split-second-decision-mode is going to do what it has done time and time again. Not only do you have to take your hand off of the handlebars (unable to use either the clutch or brake and sacrificing control in steering) but the added time and difficulty of the motion to find the key with your hand (while keeping eyes on the road), twist the key, and put your hands back on the bars, leaves me a firm believer in ALWAYS using the kill switch.