General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked (not bad) 2004 R1 won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked (not bad) 2004 R1 won't start.

Ok so a buddy of mine got t-boned pulling into his apartment complex by a 17 year old cager in a Yukon with no insurance and expired registration three weeks before he was shipping out to Germany. Ended up braking his leg pretty bad. He's got a rod from his knee to his ankle now. So he went to Germany and I got the bike at my house trying to get her up in running to sell. There is minor damage. Mainly plastic, hole in radiator, dent in tank, rear set broken.

So this is what I got.

Turn the key to on and the engine light flashes with a fault code of 19 showing up in the window.

Item= Side stand switch (open circuit in wire to ECU)

Symptom= Open circuit in the input line of ECU No.15 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed.

When I try to start the bike it just cranks, won't start.

So I went and put the bike into diagnostic mode and this is what I got after toggling to the error memory.

Code 22= Intake temperature sensor
Symptom= Intake temperature sensor-open or short circuit detected.
Fail safe action= Fixes the intake temperature to 20C.
Bike is still able to start.

Code 30 and 41= Lean angle cut-off switch (latch up detected) (open or short circuit)
Symptom= Lean angle cut-off switch-open or short circuit detected.
Fail safe action= Turns OFF the fuel injection system relay of the fuel system.
Bike is unable to be started.

So I took the lean angle sensor out and checked it seemed like it fine. So I went one step further and took it apart and did this.
http://www.yamaha-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=480

So I put it back in and still the same codes and no start. So the only option I can see is by passing the lean angle sensor. But the only thing is I don't know how to do it.

I know that was long and drawn out but I wanted to cover everything I did. So does anyone know how to bypass the sensor?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 AM

Just a guess, but it sounds like you may have a bad ground. That many codes in those various places would suggest to me the harness for those sensors may have a broken or loose ground.

As for bypassing the lean angle sensor. I don't know that it can be done on an R1. The chip board inside sends a message back to the ecu, therefore the reason people do the mod showed on the link you posted as apposed to bypassing it completely. I'm pretty sure you have to have a race ecu that bypasses the sensor. I've also seen where people will take the sensor, and fill it with silicone so the pedulum won't move, which I think is a safer idea than the one in the link.

However, with the chip board inside the sensor, it may have just shorted, and probably needs to be replaced. Im sure there is a continuity test or voltage test you can do to see if the sensor is indeed working.

But I would suggest checking the harness over very carefully, maybe even seperating the harness loom and inspecting each wire.

I would at the very least take a test light, hook up the positive end to the battery hot, then start touching the ground side to spots on the bike that should be grounded to make sure they are. Also touch the leads of the sensors that should be grounded to see if they are.

If you have a multi-meter, start testing each wire for continuity.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-24-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 AM

did you fix the code 19 issue? that would seem like a reason for the bike not starting as well