F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

15k Maintenance Check List?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k Maintenance Check List?

Hey everyone,

First thread on this forum and a proud owner of an 02 F4i (Red/Black) since July 2005. I figured I should get my questions answered before I start riding for the new season. Please bear with me as I'm new to motorcycles and mechanically challenged. I'll break my questions with numbers and if you guys could answer them accordingly I'd appreciate it; and again "Thanks in advance for taking time and answering your questions".

1. The bike is hitting 15K soon and being my first bike, I would like it to have a thorough check up on it. I've been talking to a few local dealership here but as usual their price seems outrageous. For $200 they say they will do an oil change, tighten chain + levers, plus some other thing I cant remember. I dont know if this will include any kind of other changes such as brake fluids, radiator flush etc. As usual they told me after the check up they can tell me what needs to be changed. Is this worth it?

2. I do need a thorough check up, what do you guys usually do for $15k check up?

3. I have laid my bike down once and need to change my shifter lever and my left turn signal. If these will be installed in the price they quoted me, is it worth it?

4. I have done research on this but being a newbie I thought i'd ask it again to tick you off (lol, j/k). Besides sprockets and a new filter, what do you guys recommend to improve the performance of the bike? I know a power commander will help but i dont plan on doing any track time soon so i'm looking for some minor upgrades here.

5. For frame sliders, do i have to cut my fairing and if so, what kind of tools do you use for it?

6. I read you can make the bike more controlable by making it adjust to the riders weight. Can someone elobrate on this as in how and what to adjust to make it more manuvarable? I'm 5'10 and 175lbs.

7. Anything else you can add on for a first time bike owner i'd appreciate it.

Thank you

Old 03-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Default RE: 15k Maintenance Check List?

ORIGINAL: graveheart_82

Hey everyone,

First thread on this forum and a proud owner of an 02 F4i (Red/Black) since July 2005. I figured I should get my questions answered before I start riding for the new season. Please bear with me as I'm new to motorcycles and mechanically challenged. I'll break my questions with numbers and if you guys could answer them accordingly I'd appreciate it; and again "Thanks in advance for taking time and answering your questions".

1. The bike is hitting 15K soon and being my first bike, I would like it to have a thorough check up on it. I've been talking to a few local dealership here but as usual their price seems outrageous. For $200 they say they will do an oil change, tighten chain + levers, plus some other thing I cant remember. I dont know if this will include any kind of other changes such as brake fluids, radiator flush etc. As usual they told me after the check up they can tell me what needs to be changed. Is this worth it?

2. I do need a thorough check up, what do you guys usually do for $15k check up?

3. I have laid my bike down once and need to change my shifter lever and my left turn signal. If these will be installed in the price they quoted me, is it worth it?

4. I have done research on this but being a newbie I thought i'd ask it again to tick you off (lol, j/k). Besides sprockets and a new filter, what do you guys recommend to improve the performance of the bike? I know a power commander will help but i dont plan on doing any track time soon so i'm looking for some minor upgrades here.

5. For frame sliders, do i have to cut my fairing and if so, what kind of tools do you use for it?

6. I read you can make the bike more controlable by making it adjust to the riders weight. Can someone elobrate on this as in how and what to adjust to make it more manuvarable? I'm 5'10 and 175lbs.

7. Anything else you can add on for a first time bike owner i'd appreciate it.

Thank you
1. 200.00 seems a bit steep.
2. I think for my bikes 15k they checked the valves, and adjusted them.
3. I wouldn't have anyone install anything on your bike that you can't do yourself. I've learned it's valuble experience and saves a lot of money.
4. PC is going to be the next biggest thing after those two items you listed.
5. Yes you do cut the fairing. Use a hole saw for the best look.
6. Check in your owners manual for how to adjust the suspension settings.
7. Have fun with it. Take a MSF course.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 AM

2. valve adjustments
3. do it yourself - ez job - get the parts from ebay
4. exhaust system
5. cut fairings
6. suspension setup

Old 03-13-2006, 02:01 PM

im a newb too, so i can only answer the frame slider question to the best of my knowledge. i put intuitive sliders on my 02 f4i, and yes i had to cut my fairings, what i used is a 1&7/8 hole saw, as to the manufactures spec on the sliders. remember, measure twice, and cut once. as for finding your spot to cut, i put the longer bolts for the sliders in(without the sliders), and marked the end of the bolts with a tire chalk(grease crayon), and put the fairing back on(not bolted), and pushed down on the area where the fairing, where slider will come through the body work, to make a mark where to drill. good luck, and ride hard, but smart!!

Old 03-13-2006, 08:21 PM

congratulations on the bike. you got a great bike.

1. is it worth it? depends; if you are mechanically inclined and like to do things yourself, then no it is not worth it. however, for a 16K schedule maintenance, i believe a valve check / adjustment is called for. that will probably be much higher than $200.

2. the owners manual or service manual will have the maintenance schedule laid out. just follow that. the big thing is valve check adjustment.

3. i don't know.

4. if you are a new rider (which i believe you stated you are), then i wouldn't worry about "performance" upgrades. the stock bike will is much more capable than you will be able to use for quite some time. save your money or if you do want to spend some money, spend it on suspension related items rather than horsepower.

5. most recommend the frame sliders that do require cutting the fairing. there are several excellent articles on this forum with pictures that have helped many people here (including me). sorry i don't have the link at hand, just do a search - it is well worth it.

6. i believe you are referring to shifting your weight on the bike. too complicated to explain here but go to a bookstore and buy / read "total control" and / or "sport bike riding techniques". both are excellent 5 star books.

7. sounds like you are starting off on the right track. you have a great bike. enjoy and take it easy. if you have pics, post them. find a small group to ride with and ride as often as you can. nothing compares to leaning a bike over in a turn.

gw