F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 F4i fuel pump doesn't prime & headlights dont come on

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I have the same problem. Thing is, the front sub-harness connector is stuck together, I can't get the thing apart. Can I spray some WD40 in there to try and break the corrosion (I assume that's the problem)?

I've done this before, as I had the front cowl off when I first purchased the bike this year and I tried to clean up the PO messy wiring. You simply push the tab down at the rear, and it should come apart from the middle, correct?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeF4i
Well, I think I have the same problem. Thing is, the front sub-harness connector is stuck together, I can't get the thing apart. Can I spray some WD40 in there to try and break the corrosion (I assume that's the problem)?

I've done this before, as I had the front cowl off when I first purchased the bike this year and I tried to clean up the PO messy wiring. You simply push the tab down at the rear, and it should come apart from the middle, correct?
Sounds like it's already melted together, not corrosion. That's what mine did too... it was pretty tough to get apart but finally broke loose. Just gotta keep working it.... be sure and keep pressing the little tab down as you wiggle to keep from breaking that. I wouldn't spray WD-40 in it.... gotta be careful what you spray in electrical connectors, don't want anything conductive that might short something out

Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 AM

use electrical contact cleaner.. or if you have it laying around rubbing alchohol
both have low flash points... disconnect battery during work

Old 08-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Hey,

just want to give my two cents on this issue since many of us are having the same problems.

So i had the same issue, no headlights and nor priming of the f pump.
I did all the preliminary tests: bypass sensors, checked relays, ecu swap, everything and all tests came positive. So I was stuck for about a month. Then I found this thread that talks about the wiring harness.

I go to check mine out and its stuck! WTF?! So I spend about 2 days on it, and it would not separate. The funny thing is I had it disconnected about a month or so before this. I took drastic measures and took a wire cutter and just cut the plugs off the harness and then re-connected all the wires together using butt connectors. Then she started up perfectly.

Something to consider if all preliminary tests fail. Luckily a new wiring harness is not too expensive so getting the oem back on would be feasible in the future.

I don't foresee any future problems this would have except that I would not be able to disconnect the main harness from the sub harness, But if it came down to it, may just have to cut the butt connectors off and use male-female electrical plugs, which I should've used instead of butt connectors, but w.e.

Just my two cents.;

Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YeOldeF4i

wd 40 won't hurt anything, but you might try some pb blaster, it works in a different fashion followed by contact cleaner once its apart. I have had trouble with this very connector on a couple of bikes and they were NOT melted. This is sometimes caused from a specific corrosion on the connectors and to combat it in the future, apply di-electric grease to the terminals prior to putting it back together.