F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Throttle sticks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle sticks!

my throttle sticks unless i manually decrease it. im assuming its the cable? thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there are 2 cables for the throttle one pushes and the other pulls so it could be either one or both.. they might just need some lube.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be something very simple, like the grip having slipped a little, and is sticking against the bar end - if you haven't already, make sure your grip isn't binding at the bar end or at the throttle housing/switch assembly.

The cables are your most likely culprit - you'll have to do a lot of work to properly lube the cables (remove tank, airbox, disconnect cables at both ends...) but if you do a good job, using the old "bag full of lube" method, they'll be good to go for quite some time - there's also tools out there designed to clamp around one end of the cable, and seal it up, allowing you to use the "straw" from the aerosol can to inject the lube under pressure, until you see it coming out the other end.

Lastly, if you have done any carb work, or work of any sort that required you to re-position these cables at all, you might just make sure they're routed properly...it's surprising how little you can move a cable, and end up with some binding.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
It could be something very simple, like the grip having slipped a little, and is sticking against the bar end - if you haven't already, make sure your grip isn't binding at the bar end or at the throttle housing/switch assembly.

The cables are your most likely culprit - you'll have to do a lot of work to properly lube the cables (remove tank, airbox, disconnect cables at both ends...) but if you do a good job, using the old "bag full of lube" method, they'll be good to go for quite some time - there's also tools out there designed to clamp around one end of the cable, and seal it up, allowing you to use the "straw" from the aerosol can to inject the lube under pressure, until you see it coming out the other end.

Lastly, if you have done any carb work, or work of any sort that required you to re-position these cables at all, you might just make sure they're routed properly...it's surprising how little you can move a cable, and end up with some binding.
Seconded. Had to replace my throttle cables, and I found binding until I routed one over a portion of the frame where they had been going under.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Wait, their suppose to go under the frame?? mine go above the frame at that stupid upside down v where the frame connects to the triple tree. I just decided to deal with the sticky throttle lol

Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014

Over the frame, under that metal cable guide is the correct routing, but it IS tight, if it's not done perfectly... it takes some tinkering.