F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

92 Cbr 600F2 Engine Cutting out

Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Cbr 600F2 Engine Cutting out

Hi, ive found a few similar threads but no real solutions to the problem, basically after a few minutes of riding the bike is losing revv power and then slowly the engine cuts off completely, sometimes i can keep it going by holding down the throttle all the way, but then eventually it cuts out and dies.

My bike is a CBR 600 F2 with 15k miles, ive only had it for two weeks previous owner said he had it checked out before he sold it an gave me a safety check paper saying everythings in good order but maybe he was ****ing me over :-/
Anyway i live in hawaii on the west side of Oahu so its Really Hot here and the bike sits in the sun alot

If anyone has any advice or can figure anything out i can do let me know, the nearest repair shop is 40 min away so i dunno if the bike will make it :-/

Thanks

Sky

Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm sounds like my moped, and my motorcycle last year. Teh moped ended up being an air leak with the base gasket whenever it was hot out side, and the motorcycle ended up being the rectifier. Does your battery stay charged?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM

How long before you can start the bike up after it dies? It could be your voltage regulator. Pull the side cover and check the regulator for signs of overheating. It has a large wire connector going to it. Pull the connector and inspect it for signs of burnt wires.

Sometimes you can also have fuel flow issues. This can be junk in the tank or carbs that gets stirred up and plugs the petcock screen/filter or the jets in the carbs. Usually, once they're plugged, they don't unplug, but you never know.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Check the R/R. That was what happened to my bike. Best way to be sure it is R/R is pull off the seat. Grab a voltmeter and with engine on, rev the bike to around 3k. The volts should read somewhere in the 13v range. Then go to 6k on rpm. The bike should go up to 14 volts. Anything higher than like 14.6 volts means you are getting to much juice to the battery from the stator. That would point directly to the Regulator. Also, if you rev the bike and as RPM increases so does the headlight brightness, R/R is on its last leg.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SkyHawaii, from what you describe, the R/R could definitely be the issue, but even simpler than that, if this does happen in just a few minutes each time, would be the fuel tank vent hose being blocked/kinked - the F2 petcock is gravity feed, and the tank has to be vented in order for it to continually allow fuel to flow out at the petcock.

There are two hoses coming off the bottom of the tank/petcock that don't SEEM to go anywhere, one of these is a vent hose, and the other is an overflow hose - there is a metal "guide bracket" just a few inches under the tank, that is part of the frame, and is used to point those hoses down underneath the bike - make sure the hoses aren't kinked before the bracket, make sure they are seated in there well, and make sure they have a clear path down to the bottom area of the frame.

One easy trick, to make sure they don't kink at the bracket, is to loosen the front tank bolt, and remove the rear one, just under the front of the seat, and tilt the tank forward by lifting up on the rear of it. Locate the hoses and the guide bracket, and add a tiny smear of lubricant to each hose, and maybe a smidge in each channel of the bracket, then pop the hoses in the channels, and watch to make sure that they are going straight down through the channels, as you lower the rear of tank back in place, and re-secure it.