F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Poor Performance- bogs upon acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Performance- bogs upon acceleration

Hey I have a tech question Im turning to here to get an idea of where to start.
I own a 94 cbr600f2 with 27,XXX on it.

It has ran perfectly for the last few seasons. Yesterday I was going to take it on a long ride so I took it to the pressure washer and gave it a bath, decided to chrome the exhaust so I removed and reinstalled it. Lubed up my throttle, clutch cable, and chain.

I started my ride and about half way though it started to bog down when I accelerate like its mis-firing and running on 3 cylinders.

So I replaced the spark plugs, which looked sort of dirty and changed the oil. Then turned to the exhaust to make sure it was reinstalled correctly. Then I thought the exhaust became clogged so I ran it without it.

Any ideas? ignition coil? or carb related?

Last edited by psalas3; 07-08-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, sounds like maybe a fuel related issue. Usually people give advice regarding pinched fuel lines and such. You could raise the tank and check that? Fuel screen clogged? If there's a fuel filter on there, you could check that. With my limited knowledge, I wouldn't know what else to say. Cars would be another thing. Do you know what kind of shape the regulator rectifier is in? It is strange that this happened right after you washed it. If i'm using a pressure sprayer, I always take the bike on the highway to make sure it's dried as fast and thorough as possible.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM

I changed the fuel petcock with a new one at the begining of the season that was like 2000 miles ago. There is no fuel filter on these other than a screen.
I know it seems like I know more about cars then bikes too. Even though bikes are so basic especially a 94
I checked the rectifier it seems fine but I have to figure out how to test it. As far as the wires go and connections they are fine.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the test for the R/R:

You didn't mention how long it had been sitting since it last ran well - did this issue just come "out of the blue", or has it been quite some time since you last rode it?

Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Here's the test for the R/R:

You didn't mention how long it had been sitting since it last ran well - did this issue just come "out of the blue", or has it been quite some time since you last rode it?

I have been riding it since the start of the season, it just started doing this out of the blue. Well whats seemed to be ever since I washed it last.

Looking at it today now I cannot start it at all the key will not turn it looks like the bottom of the ignition switch is melted. So I need to replace that before anything else I guess

Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by psalas3
I have been riding it since the start of the season, it just started doing this out of the blue. Well whats seemed to be ever since I washed it last.
Originally Posted by psalas3

Looking at it today now I cannot start it at all the key will not turn it looks like the bottom of the ignition switch is melted. So I need to replace that before anything else I guess

I got my new ignition switch replaced that and replaced the R/R, cleaned up and replaced the terminals, and ground wire. I still have the same issue ( runs but seems like it’s running out of fuel and is sluggish on acceleration , whats next? Carbs? How do I test the coils other than just swapping them.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've honestly never known of any one who's ended up with coils failing, but it's worth a check - here's the test for them: