F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Oil-drenched engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember with them air tools that pressure is not the most important thing, it`s the airflow it can produce. I have a 220v V2 Hyundai, it`s a great machine for what I bought it for but it doesn`t really have the huff n puff needed to use impact tools. It can open a tyre bolt, but only if it`s not too tight and loses power right after the initial blast cause the pressure is lost on the too little tank and the long hose.

Conrice those sockets give me serious TV-shop flashbacks from way back when McGyver was actually cool... Never seen one in a shop though, and quite honestly wouldn`t trust one either..

Old 01-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson

Conrice those sockets give me serious TV-shop flashbacks from way back when McGyver was actually cool... Never seen one in a shop though, and quite honestly wouldn`t trust one either..
Haha, they are gimmicky. And like I said, they're not meant for serious work, but they got those lugnuts loose. I'd never trust them to tighten anything,

Old 01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will try everything once, gimmicky or not. If it works, it stays in the toolbox, if not... I don't lose any sleep over it.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

I don`t buy much other tools nowadays than Tengtools from special toolshops. Too many busted knuckles and broken stuff from crappy tools giving up on me. I did notice you have at least a monkey wrench of the same brand. They`re better than Bahco and cheaper as well.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 PM

Yup, Tengtools are great. Having worked in the city where Bahco was invented and produced, I am kind of biased towards them and I am pretty satisfied with the 92 piece toolset I got for 130 USD, but I know what you mean. Sometimes you can feel some of the tools bending when using and you never really know when your ratchets will give up on you just when you need them the most.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:45 PM

I`ve managed to break some Bacho tools, not a single Tengool has failed yet even though some serious breaker bar pipes have been used.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM

Hey, don't know if anyone is still interested, but I know there will be newcomers one day, looking for photos depicting everything so I'll post something anyways. I haven't been working on the bike this weekend, except for removing the friction- and steel plates to be measured later on. But this is what it looks like:

Old 01-18-2015, 05:26 PM

Well it is the heart of winter, pretty much all we can do is wrench and talk about wrencing so fire away. Interested to see your bike back together and what you will make of it. Man I would like to steal your tank idea but I guess a paintless plastic tank would look a bit dumb... oh well maybe some next project...

Old 01-29-2015, 04:18 PM

It's been a while but the last few days I've started wrenching again. So far, I've come to a halt regarding the engine because I'm waiting for a flywheel puller for the alternator (no, I'm not going to take my chances with the bolt method). I've removed the clutch basket, cleaned the oil cooler, water pump, rear sprocket hub, chain, radiator and more. Thing is, I saw this wear on my clutch basket. I am pretty sure it's not that serious, but I would appreciate if any of you with more experience with clutches could have a look. I'm referring to the wear marks on the sides of the slits in the clutch basket walls.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Migge
cleaned the oil cooler
While your at the oil cooler, there are 4 or 5 rubber seals between it and the engine. Replace them. It's a common failure point after 20 years, especially the 2 orings sealing the oil passages. You'll end up with oil foam in your cooling system and in the overflow tank. Most people immediately think it's a blown head gaskets. I've seen people pull motors when a couple new orings would have fixed it.

Originally Posted by Migge
Thing is, I saw this wear on my clutch basket. I am pretty sure it's not that serious, but I would appreciate if any of you with more experience with clutches could have a look. I'm referring to the wear marks on the sides of the slits in the clutch basket walls.
Not sure on this. I've never looks at my clutch basket. But I guarantee it would look worse than yours. Mine sounds like a ducati lately.

Quick Reply: Oil-drenched engine