F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Oil-drenched engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil-drenched engine or how I took my bike apart and tried to put it back together

Hey guys!

So, I've been taking my bike apart and have a few questions about some of my observations. Today I removed the valve cover and inspection cover, and noticed that everything was pretty oily. When I removed the valve cover I saw that the bolts in the inspection cover and some other crevices were drenched in oil. Is it supposed to be like this?

When I removed the spark plugs before, I noticed they were kind of wet too.

Do I have some kind of broken seal or something?

Last edited by Migge; 01-02-2015 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Clarifying the thread
Old 12-28-2014, 02:47 PM

There should be oil all over everything under the covers. You got your cams, timing chain to the left in you pic, etc. If there wasnt I would be worried. As far as wet plugs, were they loose when you removed them? Down in the hole where the plug goes, there is a drain hole for water etc that might get down there and it comes out a small hole down by the exhaust. Maybe that passage is clogged. If the gasket for the cover is not lined up properly around the plug hole it would allow oil to get down where the plugs are and drain out previously mentioned passage. Maybe your carbs need tuned, maybe your on the rich side of things. Did/does the bike run ok? The plug tells me its rich.

Last edited by coalminer frank; 12-28-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Xcitement 711
Old 12-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, it's normal for there to be oil on things under the valve cover. It splashes around in there and lubricates the cams, cam chain, lifter and things.

You should not have oil down in the spark plug holes. If you do, then the valve cover gasket may be leaking or wasn't seated correctly around the spark plug holes the last time the valve cover was put in place. Also check down in the spark plug hole to make sure the drain holes are open. They go from the bottom of the spark plug hole through and out the front of the engine block. They are to drain water out of the plug holes. Just blow compressed air through them.

Other than that, your plugs look a bit on the rich side, not too bad. A lot better than mine the last time I changed mine. My spark plug gap was almost double the spec.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Thanks, man! Now I feel relieved (and a bit stupid). I just couldn't see how it would serve a purpose lubricating non-moving parts as bolts. The wet plugs weren't loose so I am going to check gaskets and the water passage. It runs okay but since I have rebuilt it a bit I am going to do a carb synch anyways because I suspect that I in fact am running a bit rich.

Thanks again! Tomorrow I'll continue taking everything apart just to verify function and state. I've already encountered some minor things like missing washers, some rounded bolts and such that I'll replace. I will also clean everything that seems corroded on this bike before I'll put her back together. And powder coat the frame and swingarm. So I have plenty to do the coming months...

Old 12-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Dam. Same answer same time. ^^^

Old 12-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, there should most definitely be oil all over. Thats why there is a valve cover with a gasket. The cams and guides need lubrication and theyre spinning around at 10,000+ rpms...oil's gonna get everywhere. How old are the plugs? If you can see down into the plug port, see if you can see if its wet in there too, that will tell you uf your calve cover gasket was leaking.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Dam. Same answer same time. ^^^
I think Rod Serling may be lurking around here somewhere...
<cue twilight zone music>

Old 12-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Guys, when three people say the same thing, I tend to believe them, Twilight Zone or not . Thanks a lot, now I know everything is more or less normal, except for the wet plugs. They do look good apart from being wet, but I guess a carb synch will remedy that. And besides, I bought new iridium spark plugs anyways, since they are supposed to be the miracle of ignition.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:16 PM

Submitted for your approval, Migge

Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 AM

By the way, has anyone successfully painted their engines? I'd love to see some pics of that. And any ideas of how to remove dirt and grime that goes 22 years back from the engine block would also be appreciated .

Quick Reply: Oil-drenched engine